Norton Rose Fulbright Australia
Related services and key industries
Tamlyn Mills is a dispute resolution lawyer based in Sydney.
Tamlyn assists both private and public sector clients to manage and resolve disputes, utilising a spectrum of dispute resolution techniques including mediation, arbitration and litigation. As a litigator, Tamlyn has represented clients in proceedings in the Federal Court of Australia, the New South Wales Supreme Court, Queensland Supreme Court and Western Australia Supreme Court. Tamlyn's practice focuses on commercial and corporate disputes and she has advised clients in relation to corporate governance, shareholder disputes and directors' duties.
She has a depth of experience in the energy and resources industry and has acted for both junior and established mining companies as well as participants in the National Electricity Market.
- LLM (Distinction), London School Of Economics, (2013)
- LLB (Hons First Class), University Of Queensland, (2007)
- BA (University Of Queensland, (2007)
- Grad Dip Legal Practice, Griffith University, (2008)
- Supreme Court of Queensland 2008
- High Court of Australia 2008
- Part of the team acting for Bellamys Australia Limited in the defence of two competing shareholder class actions.
- Acting for 4 non-executive directors of Kagara Limited (in liquidation) in a class action by shareholders alleging misleading and deceptive conduct and breach of continuous disclosure obligations in relation to the valuation of mining assets and the accounting treatment of costs associated with those assets.
- Acting for an ASX listed exploration and mining company with mining interests in British Columbia, Canada in relation to a complex dispute with former directors involving allegations of misuse of confidential information and diversion of corporate opportunities in breach of contractual, statutory and fiduciary duties.
- Acting for an ASX listed exploration and mining company to defend proceedings brought by former directors in the Western Australia Supreme Court seeking to restrain the release of information, including an application to enforce the plaintiffs' undertaking as to damages.
- Acting for a significant resources company in high value, complex disputes involving the supply of coal to an adjacent Power Station under a long term coal supply agreement, including multiple proceedings in the Supreme Court of Queensland and ongoing strategic advice.
- Acting for a Queensland electricity generator in sensitive proceedings concerning the calculation of certain rebate payments owing under a coal supply arrangement and referable to the sale of metallurgical coal on the export market. The proceeding concerned a significant revenue stream for a Queensland state owned asset.
- Acting for a Queensland electricity generator in the successful defence of proceedings commenced by the Australian Energy Regulator in the Federal Court of Australia for alleged breaches of the National Electricity Rules. The proceeding was the first of its kind in Australia and was significant in clarifying the meaning of the "good faith rebidding rule".
- Acting for a large agribusiness client in an urgent application in the Federal Court of Australia seeking an injunction and other orders in relation to alleged oppressive, unfairly prejudicial or unfairly discriminatory conduct under the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth).
- Acting for a private equity investor to successfully resolve a dispute with a founding director and substantial shareholder involving numerous allegations of misconduct and disputes concerning the parties' respective rights under governing contractual arrangements.
- Acting for a large private equity fund in proceedings in the Queensland Supreme Court involving a dispute between shareholders in a significant manufacturing company. The dispute involved numerous allegations of fraud and dishonesty relating to the conduct of the parties over a number of years.
- Acting for the wholly-owned subsidiary of an Australian listed company to enforce an expert determination in the NSW Supreme Court and defend a counter-claim for rectification of the underlying share sale agreement.
- Acted for Queensland government-owned corporation QIC in proceedings in the New South Wales Supreme court concerning losses flowing from an alleged double metering configuration at one of its retail investments in New South Wales. The dispute involved complex legal arguments in relation to points of law untested in Australia as well as complex factual matters involving the flow of payments between customers, participants and the market operator in the national electricity market.
- Acting for a Sydney-based property development company in proceedings in the New South Wales Supreme Court involving a multi-party dispute about the validity of the purported exercise and assignment of Call Options over land.
- Advised a significant national client on a dispute in relation to a high value IT project, including providing strategic and contractual advice and drafting a notice of termination.
- Acted for a property investment group in an expert determination to successfully resolve a long running dispute over failure to disclose defects prior to our client's purchase of a retail homemaker centre.
- Acted for a financial advisory firm to defend claims of misleading and deceptive conduct in breach of the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth) and the Australian Securities and Investments Commission Act 2001 (Cth) brought by a former client of one of its authorised representatives. The case raised issues about the territorial application of the Corporations Act and the ASIC Act and the calculation of damages where an investment loss is yet to crystallise.
- Assisting with global strategic advice to an international retail client and health services provider on the identification, assessment and management of risk in relation to potential claims concerning the management of joint venture partnerships with stores in the United Kingdom, including the conduct of internal investigations and the effect of pricing and marketing policies on individual stores. The claims represented a significant reputational and commercial risk for the business internationally.
- Acting for the plaintiffs in proceedings in the Queensland Supreme Court involving the publication of misleading and deceptive advertisements by the defendants in relation to the supply of discounted pharmaceuticals.
- Acting for a regional area water board and regional council in a construction dispute with a contractor, including an associated application to the Queensland Supreme Court and preparation for a mediation and expert determination.
Competition and Regulatory Law
- Providing advice to Align Technology Inc. in relation to the compliance of new programs and initiatives with Australia's regulatory regime, including the National Health Law and Consumer Law.
- Provided advice to Stanwell Corporation Limited in relation to successful applications for the authorisation of arrangements for the coordination of electricity dispatch in the remote North West Power System.
- Provided advice to the Queensland Government on the competition issues associated with re-structuring certain Queensland government owned assets.
- Assisted in the preparation of successful applications for authorisation on behalf of Rio Tinto Aluminium Limited and its associated joint venture partners for amendments to agreements in relation to the Gladstone Power Station and Boyne Island Smelter and subsequent applications for minor variation of the authorisation.
- Assisted in conducting an audit of a significant resources company's compliance with competition laws.
- Assisted in providing advice to various clients on the restrictive trade practices provisions in the Competition and Consumer Act 2010 (Cth), including whether particular arrangements might contravene the Act.
- Assisted in preparing a notification of exclusive dealing to the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission.
- Assisted in providing advice to a major coal mining company on access issues in relation to port infrastructure in Queensland, including a comprehensive analysis of current access arrangements at Queensland ports.
- Assisted in providing advice to a major coal mining company on access to rail infrastructure in the Hunter Valley, including reviewing and amending draft access arrangements.
- Assisted in drafting an application for informal clearance of a merger between two transport companies providing ferry services in Queensland.
- Assisted in providing advice to a Queensland electricity distributor and retailer in relation to the introduction of the National Energy Customer Framework.
- Assisted in providing advice to a large electricity generator on compliance with the National Electricity Rules in relation to spot trading activity.
- Assisted in providing advice to a market participant on the pass through of transmission related charges under the National Electricity Rules, including advising on a rule change proposal.
- Developed competition and consumer law compliance manuals for clients and assisted in the preparation and delivery of compliance training for a number of significant clients.
- Assisted in providing strategic advice to a significant rail provider in relation to coal haulage contracts with a large customer.
- Assisted Queensland's state-owned electricity generators to develop compliance programs for spot trading in the National Electricity Market.
- Assisted in providing advice to the Pharmacy Guild of Australia on pharmacy regulation in each of Australia's States and Territories, including advising on the implications of legislative amendments.
- Advised a Queensland university on governance issues, including the obligations of the University Council and the scope of its powers.
- Joint author of 'National Electricity Rules: Proposed change to rebidding in good faith provisions', MinterEllison, (6 May 2014).
- 'The ICC launches new Mediation Rules', MinterEllison, (25 February 2014).
- 'The Singapore Court of Appeal's Decision in the Astro-Lippo Dispute' (2013) 32(2) The Arbitrator & Mediator 139.
- TEQSA's new standards and liability for higher education providers, Minter Ellison Higher Education Focus, (July 2012).
- Joint author of 'A practical guide to e-litigation – Technology and its role in the courtroom', Proctor, (February 2011).
- Joint author of 'A practical guide to e-litigation – Part 2: e-litigation in the Federal Court', Proctor, (April 2011).
- Joint presenter, 'Managing Risk in Cross Border Contracts: International arbitration for transactional lawyers', AMPLA NSW and ACICA, (2017).
- Joint presenter, 'International Procurement: Common Pitfalls', MinterEllison General Counsel Breakfast, (2017).
- Joint presenter, 'Arbitration Agreements for Transactional Lawyers', MinterEllison, (2016).
- 'Implications of the Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement for Australian higher education providers', MinterEllison Higher Education Focus, (May 2016).
- Joint presenter, 'International Investment Protections', MinterEllison Seminar, Sydney, (April 2016).
- 'International Comparative Legal Guide to Enforcement of Foreign Judgments – Australian Chapter', ICGL – Enforcement of Foreign Judgments., (2016 and 2017)
- Joint presenter, 'Regional and Global Trends in ADR', MinterEllison CLE Week, Brisbane, (March 2015).
- Presenter, 'Domestic Arbitration – the New Act and Recent Cases', MinterEllison Seminar, Brisbane, (June 2014).
- Secretary of Australian Mining and Petroleum Law Association (NSW Branch), 2016-2017
- MinterEllison Pro Bono Coordinator, Sydney Office, 2016-2017
- Volunteer lawyer, Homeless Persons Legal Service NSW, 2016-2017
- Committee Member, Women Lawyers Association of Queensland, 2014-2015
- Volunteer lawyer at the Queensland Public Interest Law Clearing House Homeless Persons Legal Clinic and Self-Represented Litigants Civil Law Clinic, 2008 to 2015
- Member of the Minter Ellison Community Investment Program Committee, 2008 to 2015
- Volunteer lawyer at Caxton Legal Centre (a community legal centre), 2010 to 2015
- Participated in the ABCN Aspirations Mentoring Program with Glenala State High School, 2011
- Participated in the ABCN RISE Reading Program with Glenala State High School, 2009 and 2010