Norton Rose Fulbright Australia
Related services and key industries
- Litigation and disputes
- International arbitration
- Oil and gas
- Regulation and investigations
Alice Blackburn is a commercial litigation and disputes lawyer based in Brisbane.
Alice focuses on all aspects of international and domestic commercial disputes, particularly in the energy and resources sectors, and in the government sector. She has acted as lead associate on matters for prominent international and domestic clients, including oil and gas majors and Commonwealth and State regulators.
- Bachelor of Laws (Class 1 Honours) and Bachelor of International Business, Griffith University (2015)
- Supreme Court of Queensland 2017
- High Court of Australia 2019
Energy, infrastructure & resources
- Chevron Australia Pty Ltd ats CBI Constructors Pty Ltd & Kentz: Perth seated commercial arbitration under the UNCITRAL Model Law, in defence of a $400m claim arising out of one of the world's largest LNG projects.
- CBI Constructors Pty Ltd v Chevron Australia Pty Ltd  WASCA 1: Upholding the Supreme Court of Western Australia's decision (in Chevron Australia Pty Ltd v CBI Constructors Pty Ltd  WASC 323) to set aside of an interim award under s 34(2)(a)(iii) of the Commercial Arbitration Act 2012 (WA). The setting aside of an arbitral award on the grounds successfully sought by Chevron is the first of its kind in Australia.
- Investor-State arbitration concerning a mining company.
- Arrow Energy: Supreme Court proceedings to obtain orders regularising certain corporate filings.
- Interest holders in international gold mine: Investigation and enforcement of rights to receive mining royalties.
- Energy group: Investigation into alleged breaches of director's duties.
- Qantas: $55 million dispute regarding the uncontrolled release of 33,000L of firefighting foam (containing PFAS) at Brisbane Airport.
Government, regulatory & investigations
- ACCC v Lorna Jane Pty Ltd & Lorna Jane Clarkson  FCA 852: Successful in obtaining $5 million in pecuniary penalties against company for false and misleading representations made to consumers in respect of the efficacy of activewear protecting, eliminating and stopping the spread of COVID-19.
- Australian Energy Regulator: Investigation into possible contravention of National Gas Rules by gas consumer.
- Australian Energy Regulator: Investigation into possible contravention of National Energy Retail Law.
- ACCC: Investigation in relation to conduct potential unfair contract terms and misleading and deceptive conduct.
- Barton v Bridgeman & Anor  QDC 16: Successful judgment enforcing consumer guarantees under Australian Consumer Law.
- Against ASIC: Insider trading and money laundering prosecution by ASIC.
- Against WHSQ: Successful defence of prosecution by Workplace Health & Safety Queensland against engineer and engineering company in relation to the collapse of two thermal energy storage tanks at the Sunshine Coast University Hospital.
- QBCC: Merits reviews including decisions relating to licensing, home warranty scheme and directions to rectify.
- Landlord: Private investigation and recovery of monies under leases.
- Overseas majority shareholder: Private investigation into alleged fraudulent activity of Australian private company.
- Dreamworld Coronial Inquest: Acting for structural engineering witness giving evidence.
- Volkswagen Group Australia: Franchising dispute with franchisee.
- Barton v Bridgeman & Anor  QDC 16: Solicitor with carriage of successful judgment enforcing consumer guarantees under Australian Consumer Law, arising from the return of a defective horse.
- US-based franchisor: Resolution of disputes following insolvency of Australian franchisee.