Norton Rose Fulbright LLP
Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Phillippa Hook is a litigation and arbitration lawyer based in London. She focuses on contractual advice and dispute resolution in the oil and gas, offshore and construction industries and has been advising clients in the energy sector for more than a decade.
Integrating a keen understanding of technical issues and commercial considerations with legal advice and strategy, Phillippa has a specific interest in upstream exploration and production and in midstream commodities and trading. She has worked with NOCs, IOCs, independents, contractors and suppliers in relation to a range of contracts including joint ventures, shareholder agreements, management services, offtake and drilling. Her experience spans a range of interests onshore and offshore including power plants, drilling and platform units, project companies, corporate assets and physical commodities.
Phillippa is experienced in both litigation and arbitration in the UK and other jurisdictions. She is particularly familiar with ICC, LCIA, the Arbitration Act, and LMAA arbitrations, and litigation in the Commercial Court and Technology and Construction Court. She makes good use of strategy and dispute tools to assist in settling a high proportion of her disputes out of court.
Large-scale, high-value, complex disputes are a keynote of Phillippa's practice and she has attained the Association for Project Management (APM) Project Fundamentals Qualification. Phillippa has also been involved with evaluating contracts and tenders and provides legal advice when problems arise to assist with dispute avoidance.
- College of Law (now the University of Law), Guildford - LLB Law incorporating Legal Practice Course and Graduate Diploma in Law, 2005 - 2007
- Cambridge University, Girton College - MA Classics (Cantab), 2002 - 2005
- Solicitor 2009
- A major energy company - in an ICC arbitration dispute in relation to the sale of upstream assets
- A state-owned oil and gas company - in an LCIA Arbitration decommissioning dispute against a contractor
- A global oil and gas trader - on a potential court dispute arising from contaminated crude oil shipments
- A state-owned oil and gas company - in a shareholder dispute
- An onshore UK Operator - in the Commercial Court in a contractual dispute with one of its joint venture partners
- An operator of an exploration and production licence offshore Africa - with potential disputes with its joint venture partners and legal issues arising in relation to a potential production licence
- Transocean (one of the world's largest offshore drilling contractors) - in a drilling contract dispute with Providence (The Arctic III) in the Commercial Court; one point of law (consequential loss) appealed successfully to the Court of Appeal
- On an anti-suit injunction for an international engineering and construction company and settling the wider claim against an African bank for payment of a performance bond in relation to the construction of a peat power plant
- On the enforcement of bank guarantees on behalf of project finance parties who had invested in a PPP energy from waste construction project
- A UK fabrication company - in a claim in the Technology and Construction Court against the buyer of four offshore platforms
- Legal 500, 2018, Oil and Gas, "Clients also recommend 'remarkably driven and experienced' managing associate Phillippa Hook who 'ascertains the real issues quickly providing innovative but sound solutions instantaneously'".
- Picking up the COVID tab: Who carries the burden of changes in law?, March 2021
- CC(U)S—Spotting problems in the pipeline, February 2021
- Good faith in project finance?, Butterworth's Journal of International Banking and Financial Law (2020) 6 JIBFL 394
- Staying faithful: English Court's termination of North Sea operatorship makes waves, January 2020
- Court confirms that an express waiver for misrepresentation is still required, January 2019
- Dispute resolution in the energy sector: Ready for anything?, October 2020
- Tips on Contracting with States and SOEs, October 2019
- Duties of Good Faith in Oil and Gas Contracts, Summer / Autumn 2019
Publication | June 16, 2021
Blog | March 01, 2021
Video | December 15, 2021