Norton Rose Fulbright Australia
Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Melanie Harwood is an infrastructure lawyer based in Brisbane.
Melanie advises on contractual arrangements, project delivery and risk management for infrastructure projects. She is experienced in drafting and negotiating a range of project documentation including EPC, EPCM, D&C, ECI, O&M, alliancing, delivery partner, project management and consultancy contracts. Melanie also regularly drafts and negotiates teaming and joint venture arrangements.
Melanie previously worked for global law firms in Sydney and Abu Dhabi.
Melanie has significant in-house experience, including as Regional Counsel for Australasia for a global engineering firm and as a secondee to a major contractor in Australia and the Abu Dhabi government.
- LLB (Honours)/Bachelor of Arts (Political Studies) (Distinction) - Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane, Australia (2006)
- Legal Practice Management Course (Corporate) - New South Wales College of Law, Sydney, Australia (2011)
As a recent lateral hire, the below work was performed in previous firms:
- Mount Street commercial development: advised Laing O'Rourke on the design and construction of 100 Mount Street, a Green Star and NABERS rated commercial building in North Sydney. Advised on the D&C contract and other associated contractual arrangements, including access agreements and a relocation deed and downstream contracts and prepared a contract administration manual.
- myki retender: Advised Cubic Transportation Systems advised Cubic Transportation Systems Australia on its tender for the long-term operation of the $700m Victorian public transport ticketing system. The re-tender was the first time in Australia that a government has tendered for the operation of an existing smartcard public transport ticketing system, and included complex, bespoke performance requirements to be performed by a specially created SPV. Also advised on downstream contracting arrangements.
- Sydney Desalination Plant: advising Sydney Desalination Plant (an SPV owned jointly by Hastings and Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan) on various matters in connection with its existing O&M contract.
- Royal North Shore PPP: Advised the facilities management provider in connection with its major long-term Hard FM Services Agreement.
- M80 Ring Road, Victoria: advised Fulton Hogan in relation to downstream contracting arrangements.
- Sydney Metro Sydenham Station and Junction Works: advised John Holland Laing O'Rourke Joint Venture in connection with the downstream contracting and contract administration.
- Brisbane Airport Multi-level carpark: advised contractor on its bid to Brisbane Airports Corporation for the design and construction of a multilevel car park.
- Lake Bonney energy storage: advised Tesla in connection with downstream contracting arrangements for the Lake Bonney project in South Australia.
- Caulfield to Dandenong project: advised Vossloh Fastening Systems on its contract for supply of track system including precast and fastenings.
- Carmichael Rail Project: advised a contractor on its sleeper supply contract with Adani for the Carmichael Rail Project.
- DeGrussa Solar Power Project: advised in connection with post-construction and operational advice on this 10.6MW solar and battery plant at the DeGrussa Copper-Gold Mine in Western Australia, one of the world's largest integrated off-grid solar and battery storage plants.
- Wind Farm acquisition: advised an infrastructure fund in connection with its acquisition of an interest in the construction phase wind project in Australia.
- Brisbane Airport Northern Concourse expansion: advised Laing O'Rourke in connection with its managing contractor contract and downstream subcontracts.
- Advanced Water Recycling Plant: advised CH2M on its joint venture arrangements, tender and alliancing contract for the design, construct and commissioning of the Advanced Water Recycling Plant at Beenyup, Western Australia.
- Kawana and Maroochydore sewage treatment plant: advised CH2M on an EPCM contract for the upgrade of the Kawana and Maroochydore sewage treatment plant.
- Rockingham Waste to Energy project (WA): advised a tenderer on the engineering, procurement and construction of two waste to energy facilities using gasification technology.
- Collinsville Solar Thermal Power Station (QLD): advised a tenderer on the EPC contract and joint venture arrangements.
- Abu Dhabi Capital District: advised Abu Dhabi Urban Planning Council on the preparation of tender documentation and processes for large-scale construction projects for the 4,500 hectare development of the Abu Dhabi Capital District, one of the major initiatives of Abu Dhabi Plan 2030 (estimated value $15 billion).
- Chicago Freight Company: advised Chicago Freight Company Limited Australia on contracts for the lease, manufacture and supply of rail wagons.
- Advised CH2M on its EPCM contract for the Worsley power plant in Western Australia, and related operational and delivery matter.
- Rail Freight Centre: advised a contractor on its tender for the D&C contract relating to a rail freight centre in Queensland.
- Advised a tenderer on joint venture arrangements and contractual documents for the Oman national railway project incorporating rail design, engineering, supply, installation and commissioning.
- Advised on joint venture arrangements and tendering for the Woolgoolga to Ballina Pacific Highway upgrade delivery partner.
- Mount Victoria Rail Systems: advised Laing O'Rourke in connection with its downstream contracting for its Mount Victoria Rail Systems remodelling project with Sydney Trains.
- Transport Access Program – Easy Access Station Upgrades: advised Laing O'Rourke on downstream supply chain contracts in connection with its Managing Contractor Contract with Transport for New South Wales.
- Acquisition of MCN: advised the Interpublic Group on its acquisition of a majority interest in a Bahraini holding company (MCN) with 90 operating subsidiaries across 16 countries in the Middle East and North Africa.
- Masdar City development: advised the Regulation and Supervision Bureau for Water, Wastewater and Electricity (Abu Dhabi) on and conducted due diligence in respect of solar electricity generation licences including the consent and licence granted to ADFEC for an embedded electricity (solar) generation licence for this project.
- Advised Macquarie in connection with the financial close of the Industrial City of Abu Dhabi Extension Phase II (ICAD III) and the ICAD Industrial Effluent Treatment Plant projects.
- National Electronic Tolling Conference, Brisbane - "Supply chain engagement and incentivisation in major infrastructure projects"
- French Business Group, Abu Dhabi – "Abu Dhabi tenancy laws"
- Member, NAWIC
- Member, Queensland Law Society
- Member, Society of Construction Law
Publication | October 07, 2020
Australia: Procurement in the infrastructure sector: Protecting against insolvency risk in uncertain times
Publication | April 27, 2020