Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
Laila Paszti delivers strategic legal advice and brings a unique technology-focused perspective to achieve optimal outcomes for clients. For clients, a key strength is her ability to leverage her legal, technical and industry experience to quickly identify, assess, and mitigate IP and technology risks to maximize value and minimize issues.
Ms. Paszti's practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions, licensing, and other technology-related transactions, with an emphasis on software code audits and big data platform diligence. She has advised on both the buy and sell sides of complex, multi-national mergers and acquisitions, patent purchases/sales, and intellectual property/technology licensing transactions. She routinely advises on evolving multi-jurisdictional privacy regimes, cybersecurity, and data protection controls. She is often called on to provide legal and technical advice on artificial intelligence (AI) innovation and commercialization, including on patent strategy. She has advised US-based clients on Canadian components of cross-border corporate transactions, including mergers, acquisitions and investments. She also counsels Canadian companies considering expansion into the US or engaging in joint ventures with US entities.
From 2012 to 2019, Ms. Paszti practised law at a US-based IP boutique law firm where she advised on over 25 large M&A transactions in Silicon Valley. Before law school, she held positions as a software applications engineer at ExxonMobil and Capstone Technology where she designed and implemented AI software solutions to optimize operations in the petroleum and energy sectors
- New York 2013
- Ontario 2009
- AI Unlocked Executive Education," University of California (Berkeley), California, September 15, 2019 (upcoming).
- "Responsible Artificial Intelligence Innovation," Strata Conference, London, UK, May 1, 2019.
- "Intellectual Property and Artificial Intelligence," Scotiabank Centre for Customer Analytics at Smith School of Business, Toronto, April 12, 2019.
- "Blockchains, Smart Contracts and the Law," Osgoode Hall Law School (professional development), Toronto, November 28, 2018.
- "Smart Money Bets on Open Source Adoption in AI/ML Fintech Applications," Linux Foundation Open Source Fintech Forum, New York, October 11, 2018
- "Law and Ethics in Healthcare AI," Toronto Machine Learning Micro-Summit, Toronto, February 12, 2018
- Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP) – Canada
- Steering committee member of the Toronto Machine Learning Symposium
- Member of Canadian Mirror Committee developing the Canadian position for trustworthiness of artificial intelligence applications (ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 42 Artificial Intelligence - WG3)
Publication | June 12, 2020
Webinar | June 10, 2020
Publication | February 06, 2020
Webinar – M&A academy series: Intellectual Property (IP) and Information Technology (IT) in M&A transactions
Webinar | September 19, 2019