Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Alexis Kerr is a healthcare and information governance, privacy and cyber security lawyer based in Vancouver, British Columbia. Leveraging her experience as a former general counsel to a healthcare institution, she is a trusted advisor to numerous institutional healthcare clients on a wide range of issues. She also focuses on providing practical, business-driven and results-oriented advice and assistance to clients in the healthcare industry and in all industries where information governance, privacy and cyber security is an ongoing and ever-evolving challenge.
In the healthcare space, Ms. Kerr advises the boards and senior executive teams of healthcare institutions on all aspects of law that affect their broad-based operations. She is well-versed in leading complex contract negotiations, formal and alternative dispute resolution, managing clinician behavioural and clinical practice issues, advising on regulatory compliance as well as consent and capacity issues, and facilitating enterprise risk management. She also focuses on the regulatory requirements of virtual care providers in their interactions with the Canadian public healthcare and professional regulatory systems, and with respect to related data privacy, security and residency issues, including the use of cloud service providers.
Ms. Kerr also has over 20 years of experience advising organizational clients both within and outside the healthcare sector on compliance with applicable privacy laws, data mapping, developing privacy impact assessments and security threat risk assessments, developing and executing privacy management programs, policies and procedures and table-top exercises, employee training and education, investigating and managing data and cybersecurity breach incidents, liaising with privacy and access regulators across Canada, and litigating privacy and cybersecurity-related issues. She also advises on compliance with Canada's Anti-SPAM Law (CASL).
Professional experienceExpand all Collapse all
- British Columbia 2004
- Ontario 2002
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Privacy and Data Security Law, 2023
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2022, 2023: recommended in Data Protection & Privacy; 2023: recommended in Life Sciences & Health
- Thomson Reuters Stand-out Lawyers, 2023
- Certified Information Privacy Professional - Canada, International Association of Privacy Professionals, 2006
- "EU's judicial consideration of corporate transparency sides with protecting privacy: Implications for BC's LOTA," December 2022
- "Privacy Law in the Private Sector: An Annotation of the Legislation in Canada," (contributing author), Canada Law Book, 2002 (loose-leaf service)
- "Canadian Update," Canadian Bar Association Access to Information and Privacy Law Symposium, October 2022.
- "C-27: The Biggest Impacts on Compliance Programs," Canadian Bar Association Access to Information and Privacy Law Symposium, October 2022.
- "Cross-border and inter-company data transfers", Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP Technology, Privacy and Cybersecurity Summit: Legal insights for a digital age, October 2022.
- "What's Trending in Canadian Privacy Law and Privacy Litigation" (webinar), Canadian Bar Association, June 2022.
- "Benchmarking Privacy Business Practices," Canadian Privacy Bar Section Forum 2022, IAPP Canada Privacy Symposium, May 2022.
- "It's 2022: Do you care where your data is?" (webinar), CAN-TECH, April 2022.
- Executive member and past-chair of the Privacy and Access Law Section, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, International Association of Privacy Professionals
- Guest lecturer, Health Law, University of British Columbia Allard School of Law
- Guest lecturer, Masters of Health Administration, University of British Columbia, 2013-2016
- Former member, University of British Columbia Behavioral Research Ethics Board, 2006-2008
EU’s judicial consideration of corporate transparency
Publication | December 12, 2022
Technology, privacy and cybersecurity summit
Webinar | October 26, 2022
Vaccine passports: The ticket to the new normal
Webinar | June 29, 2021