Norton Rose Fulbright South Africa Inc
Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Romany is a medical malpractice and insurance lawyer based in Cape Town. She has thirteen years' experience as a medical negligence lawyer, predominantly representing the plaintiff. She joined the Norton Rose Fulbright in November 2019 as part of the insurance litigation team, focusing on medical law and medical malpractice claims. She advises the Department of Health in the public sector as well as various insurers in the private health sector.
Romany regularly presents seminars and training for clients, medical practitioners and medico-legal experts on various medical law, risk management models and alternative dispute resolution.
- Accredited Mediator, The University of Cape Town / Mediation in Motion, 2014
- Certificate in Medical Law, The University of South Africa / Pretoria, 2007
- LLB, The University of KwaZulu-Natal, 2005
- Favorable outcome in an appeal to the Constitutional Court in a matter requiring the development of the common law in a wrongful life case: H v Fetal Assessment Centre 2015 (2) SA 193 (CC).
- Favorable outcome in the first independent medical malpractice mediation in South Africa, 2014.
- Favorable outcome in a number of negotiated settlements with the department of health, Western Cape Province.
- Favorable outcome in a number of birth injury cases involving settlements of between ZAR17- ZAR25 million.
- Journal of Indian Medico-legal and Ethics Association, Letter to the Editor: "My Trip to IMLEACON," 2019
- "Collaborating with the State Attorney on settlement solutions in cerebral palsy cases", and "Addressing the physician's mental health crisis," South African Medico-legal Association – Presentations to the President of South Africa, Johannesburg, 2019
- SAMLA/University of Cape Town "Cerebral Palsy Workshop 4", Chairperson and course facilitator, 2019
- "Constitutional Damages – when can this be claimed?" Workshop 2 SAMLA/UCT, Cape Town, 2019
- "Medico-legal practice in South Africa," IMLEACON, Ahmedabad, India, 2018
- South African Medico-Legal Association (SAMLA)
- Director (2014 - present)
- Western Cape Branch Chairperson (2014 - present)