Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
Gatlin Smeijers is an environmental and regulatory lawyer. He advises on all aspects of environmental compliance, product stewardship, and chemical regulation.
Gatlin works with many industries, including diversified manufacturing, chemicals, and specialty materials. He regularly advises on environmental and operational compliance risks in the context of corporate transactions. Gatlin also assists private-sector clients with licensing and approvals, regulatory investigations and enforcement, and the cross-border movement of regulated materials. He works with clients to develop sensible compliance policies, engage with government regulators, and manage compliance risks. Gatlin has considerable experience with toxic substances, new substances, hazardous products, dangerous goods, controlled substances, and precursor chemicals.
Gatlin's advocacy experience includes defending regulatory prosecutions, administrative appeals, judicial reviews, and environmental civil litigation. He has appeared before various boards and tribunals and at all levels of court in Ontario, including the Court of Appeal.
- Ontario 2012
Mr. Smeijers has recently acted in the following matters:
- Environmental and chemical regulatory counsel to a multinational life sciences company in the acquisition of three Canadian manufacturers specializing in complex organic small molecules and the subsequent restructuring of federal production licenses
- Chemical regulatory counsel to a specialty chemicals company in the acquisition of a manufacturer of custom deuterium-labeled compounds
- Canadian environmental counsel to a multinational food producer in the sale of a majority stake in its international agribusiness
- Counsel to a multinational coatings manufacturer in advising on Canada's new substance notification and significant new activity regime
- Counsel to a federal Crown corporation in developing internal policies and directives concerning the handling and disposal of hazardous materials
- Counsel to a provincial regulator in developing and advising on new guidelines concerning the registration of industrial air emissions
- Counsel to an international mining company in advising on federal and provincial greenhouse gas reporting and carbon pricing legislation
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- Adjunct faculty member and lecturer (engineering law and ethics), Faculty of Engineering, University of Waterloo
- American Chemical Society
Publication | April 21, 2021
Publication | March 2, 2021
Publication | January 15, 2021
Publication | January 11, 2021