Senior Advisor - Risk Advisory
Norton Rose Fulbright Australia
Related services and key industries
Ross Phillipson is a senior consultant in our risk advisory practice. He provides risk and operational consultancy services with a focus on technology, data and cybersecurity. Based in Perth, Ross joined the firm after nearly 19 years working for global multinational Procter & Gamble in London and Geneva.
Ross has unique and in-depth expertise in legal and compliance risk management in eBusiness, including consumer protection, antitrust and trade relations, data protection, cybersecurity and digital media, a unique and highly specialised skillset developed while working in a set of roles for a leading multinational Fortune 10 FMCG company.
Prior to joining the firm, Ross created P&G's first eBusiness legal group, focusing on complex legal and operational issues at the intersection of data, algorithms, consumer protection, antitrust, privacy and cybersecurity. In doing so, Ross was responsible for legal and operational risk advice across all P&G businesses from the UK to New Zealand. From the end of 2012, Ross led P&G's European and APAC Data Protection, Privacy and Cybersecurity practice, guiding P&G through its GDPR and cybersecurity journey, as well as business tech law counselling and enterprise privacy and cybersecurity issues. From 2006- 2012, he spent six years in P&G's Transactions group, supporting and leading M&A transactions, procurement, licencing and outsourcing deals and prior to this role, Ross worked in Intellectual Property, supporting P&G's Pharmaceuticals, Healthcare and Beauty Care businesses from 2002 to 2006.
Ross is regularly sought after for industry speaking engagements, often commenting on the drafting and implementation of privacy laws like GDPR, their impact and implementation. He has also been involved in tech regulation and policy in Europe for nearly a decade and has worked in partnership with industry associations and government relations groups to ensure new legislation in the tech arena is fit for purpose.
- Bachelor of Law (Hons), University of Law, London (2008)
- Bar Vocational Course, University of Law, London (2008)
- Graduate Diploma in Law, College of Law, London (2006)
- PhD Molecular and Cellular Biology, Lancaster University, Lancaster UK (2002)
- Bachelor of Science (Hons), Biochemistry and Genetics, Lancaster University (1999)
- European Patent Attorney 2006
- Called to the Bar of England and Wales 2008
- Procter & Gamble – advising on the establishment of its direct to consumer selling operations in UK, France, Germany, Australia and Saudi Arabia and the creation of the framework agreements, operational risks and governance structures.
- Procter & Gamble – advising on connected devices and apps in a healthcare setting and regulatory approach as medical devices.
- Procter & Gamble – created the framework, operational processes and culture program to step change and drive P&G's Data Protection and Cybersecurity culture and compliance.
- Procter & Gamble – advising on the sale of its Pharmaceutical business to Warner Chilcott.
- Procter & Gamble – advising on the creation of its Joint Venture with Teva Pharmaceuticals related to the production and sale of Personal Health Care Over-the-Counter products.
Publication | May 26, 2021
Publication | March 19, 2021
Thought leadership | October 21, 2019