Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Wasiu Omotoso practises infrastructure and construction law, with emphasis on all models of public-private partnerships (PPP), construction management, and traditional bid-build types of project development, procurement, and construction.
A significant portion of Wasiu's experience involves structuring, negotiation and settlement of project documents, such as project agreements, credit agreements, lenders' direct agreements, term sheets, prime contracts, subcontracts, as well as teaming, design services, design build, offsite storage, engineering services, joint-venture, bid confirmation, interface, and construction management agreements. Wasiu also provides strategic advice on construction procurement, insurance and bonding risk allocation, post-construction operation and maintenance, project delivery risks, construction claims and contract disputes, including construction liens, trust claims, delay and cost impact recovery, bond claims, and negligence claims.
Prior to joining us, Wasiu was in-house lawyer at a top ENR construction firm, where he helped deliver notable healthcare, data centre, waste water plants and transit infrastructure projects in Ontario. He was also previously legal counsel at a construction management firm in the residential and ICI sectors of the Ontario market.
Wasiu's commitment to project development and construction is not only demonstrated through his work as a lawyer, but also an educator. He currently teaches law at Angelo Del-Zotto School of Construction Management, George Brown College, where his students value his practical insight and technical rigour.
LLM, University of Manitoba, 2014
LL.B (High Distinction), Obafemi Awolowo University, 2010
- Ontario 2016
- Alberta 2016
- Nigeria 2012
Wasiu's representative mandates include:
- Union Station Enhancement Project – advising Infrastructure Ontario and Metrolinx on the Union Station Enhancement RER project being procured under the Alliance contracting model
- Grandview Children's Treatment Centre Project – advising Infrastructure Ontario and Grandview Children's Treatment Centre on the Grandview Children's Treatment Centre Project involving the consolidation of multiple satellite locations into one purpose-built site in Ajax, Ontario (DBF)
- Etobicoke General Hospital New Patient Tower – the design-builder on the construction of a new four-storey patient tower, adding larger, state-of-the-art emergency department, CCU/ICU, and a maternal newborn unit with birthing suites. The $330 million project was delivered as a DBFM model
- West Park Healthcare Centre Redevelopment – the design-builder to one of the short-listed proponents for the redevelopment project involving the construction of a new hospital building, providing inpatient, outpatient and outreach services. The $1.2 billion project is being delivered as DBFOM model
- Mixed-Use Condominium Development – the construction manager at-risk for the development of a mid-rise residential and office complex in Toronto
- MacDonald Block Reconstruction – a member of the DBJV to one of the short-listed proponents for the Macblock reconstruction project, a $1.53 billion DBFM project
- Bay Adelaide Centre North Tower – the construction manager at-risk for the third and final office tower in the Bay Adelaide Centre in downtown Toronto. With 820,000 square feet, the North tower will complete the three-million-square-foot Bay Adelaide Centre campus
- Toronto York Spadina Subway Extension – the general contractor for the construction of the Pioneer Village station, which includes a 12-bay bus terminal, a 300-meter-long and 25-meter-wide subway station, a crossover structure, a green roof and several environmentally friendly additions. The project straddles two municipalities, and was procured as a fixed price contract
- Enterprise Data Centre – the design-builder in the delivery and close-out of an enterprise data centre. The $322-million project was delivered as a DBFM model
- Automotive Plant Expansion – the construction manager for the expansion of an auto assembly plant, north of Toronto
- Adalsteinn Fridrikson Kristiansson Fellowship Award
- David T. Syagias Graduate Fellowship Award
- Graduate Student Entrance Scholarship Award – University of Manitoba
- "Risk Allocation and Management in Infrastructure & Construction Contracts" (panelist), The Canadian Institute, Toronto, January 25, 2017.
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- Professor, "Practical Law for Civil Engineering Technology," ADZ School of Construction Management, George Brown College
- Canadian Club Toronto
- Society of Construction Law – North America