Norton Rose Fulbright Australia
Related services and key industries
- Environmental law
- Climate change and sustainability
- Environmental, social and governance (ESG)
- Ports and terminals
Jessica Howe is an environment and planning lawyer based in Brisbane. Jessica focuses her practice on environment law matters, and regularly advises public and private sector clients in a wide variety of industries, including energy, aviation, waste, and major projects. In particular, Jessica has extensive experience in contamination matters, as well as waste treatment and disposal matters.
Jessica provides a broad range of services to clients, including environmental due diligence, advice on applications, and regulatory compliance. Jessica has been involved in several environmental litigation matters in the Queensland Planning and Environment Court and the Supreme Court of Queensland.
- Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice, College of Law, 2017
- Bachelor of Laws (First Class Honours), Bond University, 2017
- Bachelor of Business (majoring in Marketing), Bond University, 2017
- High Court of Australia 2017
- Supreme Court of Queensland 2017
- Sunshine Coast Regional Council – Jessica assisted in providing advice to Council regarding the construction of the Sunshine Coast Airport Expansion Project, which involved providing advice to Council regarding compliance issues, stormwater management, communicating with the Regulator, and managing ongoing compliance issues.
- Morton Bay Regional Council – Jessica assisted in advising Council on a number of matters, including providing advice on compliance with development approvals, development applications, and infrastructure charges.
- Gold Coast City Council – Jessica provided advice to Council regarding a number of Council-owned waste disposal facilities, which involved providing advice on compliance issues, measures that Council could undertake to resolve the compliance issues, and negotiating with the Regulator. Jessica has also advised Council on the delivery of offsets required under the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (Cth).
- Ipswich City Council – Jessica successfully advised Council in respect of a planning and development appeal regarding a development application made under the Springfield Structure Plan (a development control plan under the Planning Act 2016).
- Urban Utilities – Jessica assisted in providing advice to Urban Utilities regarding its sewerage infrastructure requirements and compliance matters.
- Ross River Flooding Inquiry – Jessica assisted in providing legal advice on the Ross River Flooding Inquiry, which involved drafting a submission for consideration in the Inspector General Emergency Management 2019 Monsoon Trough Rainfall and Flood Review.
- Cross River Rail project – Jessica assisted in advising on the development and submission of EIS documents, including on technical aspects of the EIS such as flooding issues, noise, and vibration.
- Queens Wharf Brisbane – Jessica advised on the development and implementation of the PDA planning instruments to facilitate the Queens Wharf Brisbane project, on proposed amendments to planning instruments and approvals, and on compliance with the PDA development scheme.
- Inland Rail project – Jessica advised a potential submitter on the application of the Regional Planning Interests Act 2014 (Qld) to the project.
- Sunshine Coast Airport Expansion Project – Jessica advised on issues relevant to the delivery and completion of the expansion project, in relation to environmental compliance.
- Toondah Harbour PDA – Jessica advised on aspects of the Toondah Harbour PDA and compliance with the PDA development scheme.
- Instructing solicitor in Mirvac Queensland Pty Ltd v Ipswich City Council & Anor  QPEC, and assisted in successfully defending an originating application against Ipswich City Council
Queensland Environmental Law Association member
Brisbane Charity Committee Chair