Leaf Dilts McGregorvCard
Related services and key industries
Leaf Dilts McGregor joined the Minneapolis office in 2008. He has defended clients in federal and state courts across the country. His experience spans pharmaceutical and medical device product liability claims, financial services litigation, antitrust and competition, and commercial contract disputes. He has represented clients in the life sciences, food, energy, education, and manufacturing industries. As the primary attorney, he has handled product liability claims, lending and debt collection actions, and contract disputes. He has played a leadership role in litigation arising from mass-tort product liability claims against medical device manufacturers, the reorganization of global distribution channels, and international anti-corruption government investigations. Leaf focuses on understanding and attaining the client's objective, whether the objective is to protect the client's reputation, vindicate its rights, obtain a favorable settlement, avoid litigation, or resolve a dispute through a mutually-beneficial business solution.
JD, magna cum laude, University of Minnesota, 2008
BA, with honors, English, Illinois State University, 1998
Leaf is admitted to practice law in Minnesota State Court, the US District Court for the District of Minnesota, and the Eight Circuit.
- Minnesota State Bar
Leaf has recently:
- Defended medical device manufacture in a large international mass tort by developing fact and expert witnesses, leading the investigation and discovery processes, coordinating the work of junior associates, and consolidating state court actions.
- Obtained early dismissal of a series of personal injury claims against a Class III medical device on the basis of federal preemption of state-based product liability claims.
- Managed all aspects of e-discovery in cases ranging from simple contract disputes to mass torts.
- Defended manufacturer against nationwide litigation following reorganization of its distribution network by achieving early disposal of claims in arbitration.
- Obtained summary judgment of construction and negligence claims against a mortgage lender in state court.
- Negotiated favorable settlement for a health food company facing contract claims after ending a long-standing supply agreement.
- Defended class actions, successfully avoiding certification in a FDCPA against a health care provider.
- Defended several claims based on state and federal consumer lending regulations, including FDCPA, FCRA, RESPA and TILA both in trial court and on appeal.
- Minnesota Rising Stars, Super Lawyers, 2018
- Co-author, "E-Discovery—Emerging Legal Issues and Guiding Law, Chapter 27 of Product Liability Litigation: Current Law, Strategies and Best Practices," PLI (2009-2012).
- Co-author, "Using Negotiation and Settlement Skills to Your Tactical Advantage," Minnesota CLE, March 3, 2010
- Co-author, "The Smoking Gun (in 140 Characters or Less): Getting Your E-Discovery into Evidence at Trial or on Summary Judgment," Minnesota CLE, August 2009
- Co-author, "8th Circuit Update," 2009 Upper Midwest Employment Law Institute, May 28, 2009
- The Federal Bar Association
- The State Bar of Minnesota
- Adjunct Professor, University of Minnesota Law School, Legal Research and Writing (2010 - 2011)