Willem de Villiers
Norton Rose Fulbright South Africa Inc
Willem de VilliersvCard
Related services and key industries
Willem de Villiers is a director in the Business Law team at Norton Rose Fulbright, Johannesburg. He specialises in mergers and acquisitions, financing transactions (secured or otherwise and including preference share funding transactions) and restructurings. He acts for financial institutions in addition to listed and unlisted corporate clients.
Willem recently advised long-standing client Sanlam Limited (the largest non-banking financial institution in South Africa) on the merger of its third party asset management business with that of Absa Group Limited, thereby creating one of three largest asset managers by assets under management in South Africa.
Willem advised the majority foreign creditors in relation to the largest debt restructuring in the country to date. He has advised on some of the most significant takeovers in the listed real estate sector and financial services sector.
Willem is dual qualified to practice as an attorney in South Africa and a solicitor in England and Wales.
- BLC LLB, MPhil (International Relations) (Cantab)
- Attorney of the High Court of South Africa
- Solicitor of the Senior Courts of England and Wales (Non-practicing)
- Willem is consistently recognised in international ratings:
- Ranked as highly regarded by IFLR1000 in the areas of Banking.
- Recommended by Chambers and Partners in the areas of Corporate/Mergers and Acquisitions.
- Recommended in the Best Lawyers® 2021 review as a leading lawyer in the areas of Corporate Law & Mergers and Acquisitions Law and Banking and Finance Law.