Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Related services and key industries
Jackie McMillan is a senior associate in the Houston office where her practice encompasses handling a wide range of mass tort, toxic tort, personal injury defense, and premise liablity defense litigation. Jackie represents product manufacturers, oil and gas companies, petrochemical companies, and health care institutions in complex personal injury and commercial disputes. Jackie focuses a large portion of her practice on cases involving alleged exposure to benzene, toluene, xylene, ethylbenzene, chlorinated chemicals, and other industrial chemicals, toxic tort claims, premise liability claims, product liability claims, and claims arising from catastrophic events such as fires, explosions, or environmental disasters. Jackie has also represented health care institutions, pharmaceutical and medical device manufacturers, and health care providers in complex catastrophic personal injury cases.
Prior to graduating, Jackie interned for the Office of the First Lady at The White House and for the United States Senate. Jackie is currently an adjunct professor at South Texas College of Law and teaches a mock trial litigation class.
JD, Valedictorian, South Texas College of Law, 2012
BBA, cum laude, Business Management, Texas A&M University, 2008
Université Robert Schuman, 2008
In law school, Jackie was the recipient of the Dean's Outstanding Advocate Award, a member of the South Texas Law Review, and a member of the Order of Barristers. She is admitted to practice law in Texas.
- Texas State Bar
- Representing oil and gas exploration, production, and refining company in premise liability matter involving personal injuries related to hydrofluoric acid release.
- Representing international exploration and production company in toxic tort and negligence matter involving personal injuries related to alleged benzene and BTEX exposure during maintenance tasks performed by contract worker.
- Representing product manufacturer in toxic tort and negligence case involving personal injuries related to loading and transportation of refined petroleum product.
- Representing oil and gas exploration, production, and refining in toxic tort and negligence action for personal injuries sustained from employee and contract worker exposure to benzene and BTEX during refining process.
- Conduct day-to-day management of docket including identifying and deposing fact witnesses; identifying, retaining, and coordinating efforts for expert reports, engaging in motion practice, and formulating strategies to drive down case values.
- Represented non-profit foundation which supports funding, scholarship, programs and facilities for major state university in state and federal lawsuits involving breach of contracts.
- Represented international oil and gas exploration and production company in arbitration regarding obligations under contract with waste water disposal facility.
- Represented international exploration and production company in catastrophic complex personal injury lawsuit related to purchases made at a branded fuel station and secured complete dismissal on issue of first impression.
- Obtained dismissal for clinical nurse in medical malpractice lawsuit and successfully defended the dismissal in the First Court of Appeals.
- Secured dismissal for state university health care clinic on issue of first impression and currently defending the dismissal at the Texas Supreme Court.
- Represented multinational health care institution and nursing staff in complex birth trauma lawsuit; prepared and argued partial summary judgment and successfully defended dismissal in the Ninth Court of Appeals.
- Negotiated and drafted settlement, release, and indemnity agreements in complex commercial and personal injury disputes.
- Taken over 40 fact and expert witness depositions; prepare and presented fact witnesses and corporate representatives for deposition.
- Assisted in coordinating e-discovery efforts and data preservation efforts for Japanese pharmaceutical company facing Multi-District Litigation (MDL).
- Identified and analyzed potential legal issues and advised state-affiliated non-profit foundation regarding its rights under contracts with endowed donors.
- Reviewed current and proposed legislative action and prepared report advising multinational health care institution on best practices involving accountable care organizations
- Prepared and argued appeal for recovery of Medicare funds improperly withheld for services rendered by a Texas health care system.
- Identified and analyzed potential legal issues arising under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and advised Texas health care system on best practices involving criminal and civil subpoenas.
- Prepared more than 20 litigation budgets in tort and commercial litigation, including litigation phase budgets, trial budgets, and life of litigation budgets.
- Represented international pharmaceutical company in multi-jurisdictional lawsuit alleging injuries related to colon preparation products.
- Tried over ten cases to verdict as part of Norton Rose Fulbright's volunteer prosecutor program with the city of Houston.
- Texas Rising Star, litigation, Thomson Reuters, 2018 - 2020
- Texas Bar Foundation Fellow
- America's Top 100 Civil Defense Litigators, 2018
- "Finding Your Voice as a New Lawyer," TYL Magazine Vol. 18. pp 8-9, Fall 2013
- Houston Young Lawyers Association
- Young Professionals in Energy