Samantha B. Miller
Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Samantha B. MillervCard
Related services and key industries
For 20 years, Samantha Miller has focused her practice on insurance coverage and complex coverage litigation, involving directors and officers (D&O) and professional liability policies. Samantha's experience for D&O liability insurers includes corporations, private equity firms and financial institutions. Samantha also represents professional liability insurers in a number of different areas, including healthcare liability, medical device liability and financial services. In addition to her insurance coverage practice, Samantha also advises clients on complex reinsurance claims and handles reinsurance arbitrations.
Samantha routinely advises both insurers and their clients in drafting professional liability policies and additionally provides advice to corporate boards on customized insurance arrangements.
JD, magna cum laude, The University of Texas at Austin School of Law, 1998
BA, magna cum laude, University of Texas at Austin, 1996
- District of Columbia Bar
- Maryland State Bar
- Virginia State Bar
- Acted as monitoring counsel for excess insurer defending its insured, a large road construction and paving company, against a complex bodily injury claim involving quadriplegia arising from an accident at a paving site in Orlando, FL.
- Acted as bad faith counsel for insurer facing allegations of bad faith coverage denial under a marine policy arising from underlying bodily injury claims related to work being done in a refinery plant in Houston, TX.
- Represented insurer in a coverage action brought by its insured, Cornerstone, one of the country's largest providers of affordable housing, seeking coverage and bad faith damages in relation to insurer's denial of third-party liability claims alleging discrimination in violation of the FHAA submitted by Cornerstone under its private company D&O/EPLI policy. Cornerstone Residential Management, LLC, et al. v. Starr Indemnity & Liability Co., Case No.: CACE 13-001913(2), In the Circuit Court of the 17th Judicial Circuit in Broward County, Florida.
- Acted as coverage counsel for insurer defending against claims of coverage under an excess energy policy arising from hundreds of bodily injury claims related to an explosion of a refinery plant outside of Houston, TX.
- Acted as coverage counsel for insurer defending against claim of coverage under an employment practices liability policy, which arose out of the largest verdict rendered in federal court action alleging retaliation for reporting alleged fraud within the company in violation of whistleblower protections provided by the 2002 Sarbanes-Oxley Act. Starr Indemnity & Liability Co. v. Playboy Enterprises, Inc., No. 14-cv-1802 (N.D. Ill. 2014).
- Acted as coverage counsel for multiple excess insurers in an excess tower providing coverage to a large national medical device company involved in MDL litigation for both vaginal mesh products and vena cava filter products.
- Acted as coverage counsel for insurer defending against claim of coverage under a professional liability policy arising from an underlying bodily injury claim related to an alleged product defect utilized by an infertility center.
- Acted as coverage counsel for multiple insurers involved in coverage disputes regarding underlying claims of sexual abuse asserted against Archdiocese of Los Angeles.
- "Climate Change Lawsuits Update," Client Alert, October 4, 2012
- "U.S. Department of Justice Seeks to Recover Conditional Medicare Payments From Liability Insurance Carriers Who Participated In Claims Settlement," February 8, 2010
- "Second Circuit Refuses to Grant Pre-Hearing Discovery from Non-Parties to an Arbitration Proceeding," Client Alert, December 8, 2008
- "Captive Insurance Panel," Moderator, ARIAS US Spring Conference, Palm Beach, FL, May 2013
- "Climate Change and the Insurance Industry: Risks, Opportunities and Responsibilities," London Reinsurance Group, Dublin, Ireland, September 2011
- "Ethics in the Boardroom: What to do About Bribery - FCPA Enforcement Actions and Their Impact on D&O Insurance," Chadbourne & Parke, New York, NY, June 2011
- "Oil in the Gulf: Litigation and Insurance Coverage," HB Litigation Conference, Atlanta, GA, June 24-25, 2010
- Mealey’s Reinsurance Litigation and Arbitration Conference, Washington, DC, February 11-12, 2008
- Member, ARIAS US
- Member, American Bar Association (Insurance section)