Jeffrey I.D. Lewis
Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Jeffrey I.D. LewisvCard
Related services and key industries
Jeffrey I. D. Lewis is a partner at Norton Rose Fulbright, resident in the firm's New York office. A chemical engineer and registered patent attorney, Jeff concentrates on patent and trademark litigation, counseling, and licensing, as well as other intellectual property and general litigation. He regularly represents plaintiffs as well as defendants ─ both at trial and on appeal ─ in a range of technology-related sectors with a focus on pharmaceuticals, chemicals, mechanical/medical-device, biotechnology and life sciences, and has represented pharmaceutical innovators in numerous Abbreviated New Drug Application (ANDA) patent litigations. Jeff has been lead counsel in several dozen cases before the U.S. federal district courts and other tribunals, often trying them to conclusion, and argued numerous appeals before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
He is a past President of the American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA) and the United States national group of the Association Internationale pour la Protection de la Propriété Intellectuelle (AIPPI), as well as a fellow of both AIPLA and the American Bar Foundation. Jeff is active in a number of other intellectual property bar associations. In addition to his work on behalf of clients, Jeff has appeared as Counsel of Record for amicus curiae in numerous cases before the Supreme Court of the United States, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, and other courts involving a diverse array of issues.
Jeff frequently writes and speaks on intellectual property and litigation issues, and he was an adjunct professor at the Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law at Yeshiva University from 1999 to 2012. He received his J.D. from that school, cum laude, and his B.S. Ch.E. from the University of Connecticut. He also served as an Alexander Judicial Fellow to the Honorable Marion T. Bennett of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. Jeff is consistently recognized in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business in the area of Intellectual Property, listed as a "Litigation Star" for New York and a "National Star" for Intellectual Property in Euromoney Institutional Investor PLC's Benchmark: America's Leading Litigation Firms and Attorneys, cited in Who's Who Legal:Patents, and named in Super Lawyers in the area of Intellectual Property Litigation.
JD, cum laude, Eleanor Roosevelt Award, Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, 1986
BS, chemical engineering, University of Connecticut, 1983
In law school, Jeffrey was active in student government and P.A.D., and was an Alexander Judicial Fellow to Judge Marion T. Bennett, U.S. Court of Appeals for Federal Circuit.
During undergraduate, Jeffrey was involved with student government, was the Student Ombudsman and active in Delta Chi and WHUS.
- Connecticut State Bar
- New York State Bar
- US Patent & Trademark Attorney
- Patent Litigation and Counseling - Representing both plaintiffs and defendants in patent infringement cases for various pharmaceutical, chemical, biotechnical, business method, electronic and manufacturing concerns including ANDA litigation on behalf of innovators. Preparation of opinions concerning patentability, validity, enforceability and infringement.
- Patent, Trademark and Copyright Licensing, Transfers and Collateralization - Representation of transferors, transferees and lenders concerning intellectual property transfers, sales and licenses, and related review of intellectual property portfolios including preparation of opinions concerning validity, enforceability, title and encumbrances.
- Trademark, Trade Dress and Copyright Litigation, Counseling and Prosecution - Prosecution and defense of infringement, opposition and cancellation proceedings before the courts and the Patent & Trademark Office for pharmaceutical, chemical, manufacturing, cosmetic, garment and financial concerns. Preparation of opinions concerning availability, registrability and infringement.
- Commercial/Trade Secret Disputes Litigation, Counseling and Prosecution - Prosecution - Litigation of various commercial and trade secret disputes involving employment agreements, product and process development contracts, art transactions and commercial leases.
- Chambers USA, New York: Intellectual Property: Patent, Chambers & Partners, 2008 - 2018
- Legal 500 US, recommended lawyer, Intellectual property: Patent litigation: full coverage, The Legal 500, 2018 - 2019
- New York Metro Super Lawyer, Intellectual Property Litigation, Thomson Reuters, 2007 - 2019
- The Best Lawyers in America, New York Patent Law, Best Lawyers, 2012 - 2020
- IP Star, Trade mark and Patent, New York, IP Stars, 2018
- New York Litigation Star, Euromoney Institutional Investor PLC's Benchmark: America's Leading Litigation Firms and Attorneys
- National Star, Euromoney Institutional Investor PLC's Benchmark: America's Leading Litigation Firms and Attorneys
- Who's Who Legal, Life Sciences, Law Business Research Ltd.
- Who's Who Legal, Patents, Law Business Research Ltd.
- Founder's Circle, Delta Chi Educational Foundation, 2005.
- Sense-of-the Board Resolution, City of Stamford, CT, 1997.
- Award of Excellence, Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts, 1997.
- "Louis Clapes Citizen of the Year," North Stamford CT Association, 1997
- Co-author, "When Courts Allow Changes To Hatch-Waxman 30-Month Stay," Law360, September 10, 2018
- Co-author, "The HEART of TC Heartland: Going to The Defendant's Home?," American Intellectual Property Law Assoc. 2017 Annual Meeting
- Co-author, "One Month Since TC Heartland – A Look at Patent Infringement Filing Trends in the District Courts," Fried Frank Into the Heartland Resource Center, July 7, 2017
- Co-author, "2015 Patent Year in Review … and 2016 Preview," Univ. of Akron 18th Annual Symposium on IP Law & Policy, March 2016
- Co-author, "Patent Eligibility and Dispositive Motions: Strategies for Navigating 101 Rabbit Holes in a Post-Alice World," AIPLA MidWinter Institute, Jan. 29, 2016
- Co-author, "Entering the Innovation Twilight Zone: How Patent and Antitrust Law Must Work Together," 17 Vanderbilt J. of Entertainment & Technology Law 3, 2015
- "What Is FRAND All About? The Licensing of Patents Essential to an Accepted Standard," Cardozo Intellectual Property Law Alumni Newsletter, Spring 2014
- Co-author, "An Unforeseen Obstacle: Consultants can prevent patent validity challenges through the use of the assignor estoppel," Intellectual Property Magazine, May 2014
- "About Intellectual Property Lawyers," Law Practice Today, Oct. 2013
- Co-author, "The Goddess Divines Patent Law: A Design for Patent Re-Design?," IP Litigator, Patent Litigation Column, March/April 2008
- Speaker, "The HEART of TC Heartland: Going to The Defendant's Home?," American Intellectual Property Law Assoc. 2017 Annual Meeting, Washington, DC, October 19, 2017
- Moderator, "The Changing Patent Scene in the USA," 2nd International Convention on The Economy of Innovation, Tel Aviv, Israel, March 21, 2016
- Speaker, "Litigating Patent Eligibility via Dispositive Motions in the U.S.A.," Second International Convention on The Economy of Innovation, Tel Aviv, Israel, March 21, 2016
- Speaker, "Patent Law Developments," 18th Annual Symposium on Intellectual Property Law and Policy, Akron, OH, March 14, 2016
- Speaker, "How to Survive Early Disposition when Litigating 101 Issues," Enforcing IP – From Creation to Monetization and Litigation, La Quinta, CA, January 27, 2016
- Panelist, "Protecting Privilege: Patents Agents Within the Bar, and Patent Attorneys Beyond the Bar," Webinar, November 12, 2015
- American Bar Association
- Intellectual Property and Litigation Sections, Subcommittee Chair on Willful Infringement, 1990-91 and 2005-6
- Select Committee on the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, Subcommittee on a Commission for the Judicial Selections, 1989
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- President, 2012-2013; President Elect 2011-2012
- First Vice President, 2010-2011; Second Vice President, 2009-2010
- AIPLA Fellow, 2007-present
- Board of Directors, 2003-2006
- Professionalism & Ethics Select Committee, Vice Chair 2017-present
- Nominations Committee Chair, 2015; Vice Chair 2014
- AIPLA Quarterly Journal Editorial Board, various years, Board Liaison
- Special Task Force on Association Information Technology, Chair, 2007-2009
- Patent Law Committee Vice Chair, 2006-2008
- Patent Litigation Committee Chair, 2001-2003; Vice Chair, 1999-2001; Chair Subcommittee on Markman Proceedings, 1997-2003; Subcommittee on Uniform Jury Instructions 1994-7
- Federal Circuit Case Law Summaries, 1991-1995
- AIPPI-US (U.S. division of Association Internationale pour la Protection de la Propriété Intellectuelle)
- President, 2012-2013
- President Elect, 2011-2012
- Litigation Committee, Subcommittee on Privilege, 2014- present
- AIPPI-International, Amicus Committee, 2017-present
- American Intellectual Property Law Educational Foundation, Trustee, 2009–2011
- Hon. William C. Conner Inn of Court, Inaugural Member, 2008-present
- Federal Circuit Bar Association
- Intellectual Property Owners Association
- Litigation Committee, 2016–present
- Patent Agent Privilege Subcommittee Chair, 2016
- New York Intellectual Property Law Association
- Legal Aid Committee, Chair, 1991-1994
- Special Subcommittee Concerning Ruling on Section 337 of the Tariff Act of G.A.T.T., 1989-1990
- Publications Committee, 1987-1990;
- Litigation Practice & Procedure Committee, 1991-2004;
- Amicus Brief Committee (nee Amicus and Legislative Oversight), 2004-present
- Benjamin N. Cardozo IP Alumni
- Intellectual Property Editorial Advisory Board, Law 360, 2017
- TekCaptial Ltd., 2012–2015
- Editorial Advisory Board for T. Turano, Obtaining Patent, 1997