Related services and key industries
Alan Bainbridge is a corporate lawyer based in London. He focuses on strategic M&A and corporate advisory for financial institutions.
Alan was also previously a member of the Barclays Bank PLC M&A legal team in London where he advised the bank on a number of notable transactions, including the US$1.1 billion sale by Barclays Bank PLC of its 43 per cent stake in FirstCaribbean International Bank, the US$225 million acquisition by Barclays Capital of EquiFirst, the US based non-conforming mortgage lender and the €225 million acquisition by Barclays Global Investors of Indexchange, a leading European ETF business based in Germany.
Alan is qualified in both England and Hong Kong and spent a number of years in our Hong Kong office before becoming a partner.
Alan is individually ranked by Chambers (2017) for Corporate / M&A: High end. He is “superb in the technicalities” and gives “balanced, pragmatic views,” according to commentators.
- Solicitor, qualified in England & Wales
- Solicitor, qualified in Hong Kong
Financial Services M&A
- Advising SG Hambros Bank on its acquisition of the banking business of Kleinwort Benson Bank by way of Part VII FSMA banking business transfer
- Advising Barclays Bank PLC on the US$2.8 billion sell-down of Barclays Group's 62 percent shareholding in JSE-listed Barclays Africa Group Limited and on the related bank separation arrangements
- Advising HSBC on its proposed US$6.3 billion acquisition of a controlling stake in Korea's KEB
- Advising Barclays Bank PLC on the sale of its French retail banking and wealth management business to ANA Cap Financial Partners
- Advising Piraeus Bank on the sale of its Egyptian banking business, by way of auction, to Kuwait's Al Ahli bank
- Advising Goldman Sachs in its capacity as sole underwriter to African Bank's ZAR 5.5 billion rights offer
- Advising Lloyds Banking Group on its non-core disposal programme
- Advising Barclays Bank PLC on the acquisition by Absa Group of Barclays' banking operations in Botswana, Ghana, Kenya, Mauritius, Seychelles, Tanzania, Uganda and Zambia for a consideration of 129,540,636 Absa Group shares, representing a value of ZAR18.3 billion (c.GBP1.3 billion)
- Advising RBS PLC on its non-core disposal programme
- Advising Absa Bank Limited on its R10 billion acquisition of the private label store cards portfolio of Edcon Proprietary of South Africa
- Advising on the acquisition of Morgan Stanley's European natural gas and power trading portfolio by Royal Dutch Shell Plc
- Advising Lloyds Bank PLC on its £37 billion reduction of capital in connection with its ring-fencing implementation
- Advising HSBC's independent banking representative in connection with the review and implementation of HSBC's structural reform proposals to comply with ICB's ring-fencing recommendations as reflected in the Financial Services (Banking Reform) Act 2013
- Advising Drax Group, owner of Western Europe's biggest coalfired station, on its complex £1 bn plus restructuring effected through schemes of arrangement in three jurisdictions that occurred immediately before its listing on the LSE, as well as on the separate and parallel M&A auction process
- Advising HBOS on the restructuring of Bond Aviation Group, including its subscription for 1.6m 5% cumulative redeemable preference shares
- Advising Lloyds bank on the restructuring of its non-core assets book, including advising on several shipping and aviation loan portfolio disposals
Publication | December 2018
Publication | November 2018
Publication | August 2018
Publication | May 2018