Norton Rose Fulbright LLP
Related services and key industries
Heimon Smits is a corporate M&A lawyer based in Amsterdam.
Heimon is experienced in M&A and private equity transactions, joint ventures, complex cross-border transactions and corporate restructurings. He has been acting as Dutch counsel to vendors, purchasers and investors in numerous cross-border and national transactions.
Clients recommend Heimon for his broad experience in corporate law and his solution-orientated and pragmatic approach. Client feedback includes, "He has a great eye for detail and also a view beyond his immediate responsibilities which tremendously helps in any transaction." Chambers Global 2021.
Prior to joining us in June 2014, Heimon worked for more than 18 years at other leading law firms, including two years in New York advising on the Dutch legal aspects of cross-border transactions.
- Orde van Advocaten: Heimon Smits heeft in het rechtsgebiedenregister van de Nederlandse orde van advocaten de volgende rechtsgebieden geregistreerd: Algemeen recht
- Assisting an European investment company on its joint venture in a pan-European data centre platform.
- Assisting a global multi-energy company on investments in electric mobility companies.
- Assisting global automotive company together with NRF European team on among others corporate, employment, data privacy, contract and regulatory aspects for European automotive business.
- Assisting a Dutch hosted managed service provider on its sale to a US private equity investor.
- Assisting a global food service provider on a sale auction of its multi-jurisdictional division.
- Assisting an international chemical company on several supply agreements.
- Assisting a global taste and nutrition company on the acquisition of a global leader in preservation.
- Assisting a maritime vessel and infrastructure company on a joint venture and investment with a Dutch joint venture partner.
- Assisting a global manufacturer of electric motors, electrical motion controls, power generation and power transmission products, on its acquisition of a leading European producer of fan and blower solutions for ventilation and air quality.
- Assisting a global food company on its distribution network in continental Europe and on drafting and negotiating distribution agreements.
- Assisting an oil & gas company on the sale of its copolymers business to a Dutch buyer. The transaction involved among others close cooperation with the company’s in-house legal team in France and US and a long term supply agreement.
- Assisting a global food company on its acquisition of a majority stake in a plant-based meat alternatives production company.
- Assisting a global oil company on several transactions including refinery plant, commodity trader and petrochemical installation.
- Assisting an European private equity firm and Management Shareholders on the sale of release liner production company with subsidiaries in the Netherlands, United States, China, Thailand, and India.
- Assisting a French private equity investor and its Swiss co investor on a joint bid on an oil storage terminal operator.
- Assisting international private equity firm and its portfolio company on the acquisition of a Dutch chemical company and acting since then as outside counsel of Dutch operations.
- Assisting an international energy company on the acquisition of a stake in large windfarm project from Dutch pension funds.
- Assisting a global company on the acquisition of two Dutch inflight service companies.
- Assisting a global manufacturer of silicone release liners on the divestment of its Finnish subsidiary and activities in multiple other jurisdictions.
- Assisting a global provider of solutions for the energy markets on the sale of its drilling products activity to US company, a leading provider of oil services.
- Assisting a global IT provider specializing in license management, sourcing, technical product consulting and cloud-based professional services on several acquisitions of Dutch IT companies.
- Chambers Global 2024: Heimon Smits assists clients with cross-border acquisitions and mergers. He also advises on sales and divestments, including auction processes. "He provides valuable input on complex arrangements.", "Heimon Smits is very responsive and helpful." and "He knows the market very well, is proactive and hands-on."
- Chambers Global 2023: "He is very easy to work with on a complex project and a good communicator."
- Legal 500, 2023: "Praised as a 'bright and business-minded corporate partner', 'Heimon Smits is another key contact in the group.' and 'Experienced corporate practitioner Heimon Smits focuses on complex cross-border transactions and corporate restructurings.'"
- Chambers Global 2022: "Heimon Smits assists clients with the Dutch aspects of multi-jurisdictional transactions, acting for private equity houses, as well as clients from the technology, pharmaceutical, and food and beverage sectors."
- Chambers Global 2021: clients cite Heimon’s "eye for detail and also a view beyond his immediate responsibilities which tremendously helps in any transaction."
- Chambers Global 2020: clients describe "Heimon Smits as "excellent," and add that "he can always find a practical solution that satisfies both sides of a transaction." and is "very flexible and extremely smart." He assists clients with multinational corporate transactions and joint venture agreements.
- Chambers Global 2019: "Heimon Smits is a "creative and hands-on" lawyer, and another client values his ability to "give structure to the corporate process." He handles international M&A and joint venture transactions."
- Legal 500 2018: "Heimon Smits 'can put together a well-balanced team with short notice, and gets things moving swiftly'."
- Chambers Global 2018, Chambers Europe, 2018: "He's a straight-shooter, really direct, supports the client and always has a very positive attitude towards the work. It's really enjoyable working with him."
- Chambers Global 2017: "Heimon has incredible attention to detail and an impressive memory which, from a transaction standpoint, is invaluable."
- Legal 500 EMEA, 2016: "Understands business needs and business rationale while also respecting the legal reality."
- Chambers Europe, 2016: "Heimon Smits advises clients on cross-border corporate transactions and restructurings, and has experience in the manufacturing and chemical industries. Clients say he is "always able to find a compromise or solution to a problem," also praising his "availability and excellent fundamental knowledge of M&A work in the Netherlands."
- Chambers Global, 2015: "An exceptional asset to our negotiating team."
- IFLR1000, Corporate, 2014: "Knowledgeable and supportive...he makes sure any information coming from foreign jurisdictions is translated in a way that we can understand it."
- Chambers Europe, Corporate, 2014: "Really adds value to anything that we involve him in."
- International Bar Association