Related services and key industries
Andrew Strachan is a corporate and commercial lawyer based in Johannesburg.
Andrew specialises in insurance litigation including advising on policy responses, subrogated defenses and recoveries, banking litigation including defending claims made against banks, business rescue and insolvency, general commercial disputes including Anton Pillar applications and regulatory disputes. He has recently completed the Unisa advanced short course in business rescue practice.
He has extensive experience in High Court litigation and arbitration over a wide range of disputes. He has regularly dealt with matters in the Supreme Court of Appeal.
After completing his articles with the practice Andrew was admitted as an attorney in February 1990. He was appointed a partner in March 1994. Andrew initially practiced in the general and insurance litigation division and subsequently joined the corporate and commercial division where he currently practices.
He holds a BA and LLB (UCT).
- Representing FirstRand in proceedings by an interest re-calculator, who alleged an overcharge of interest to customers by Saambou Bank, FirstRand having subsequently acquired Saambou Bank.
- Representing First National Bank in extensive litigation relating to the naming rights to the FNB Stadium.
- Representing Underwriters at Lloyd’s and G4S in proceedings arising out of losses at OR Tambo International Airport and a subsequent loss of recovered money from the Benoni Police Station.
- Representing clients with an interest in the business rescue of Top TV.
- Representing clients with significant interests in the highly publicized liquidations of First Strut and Pamodzi.
- Advising clients on their rights in relation to the award by PRASA of a R51 billion tender for its roaming stock fleet renewal programme.