Head of Transport Africa and Practice Group Leader for Disputes, South Africa; Director
Norton Rose Fulbright South Africa Inc
Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Andrew is a director based in Durban. He is the Head of Transport for Africa and Practice Group Leader for Disputes. This practice group includes the Employment and Labour, Commercial, Insurance, Construction and Transport litigation teams.
He is primarily a transport lawyer and specialises in both commercial and the litigation aspects of international trade, shipping, admiralty, marine insurance, transport, logistics and marine environmental law, as well as maritime casualty response and subrogated recoveries. He heads up the practice's Admiralty and Shipping team.
He has been involved in a number of high profile casualty-related matters and has mediated, litigated or arbitrated matters in the United States, England, France, Germany, Italy, India, Zambia, Mozambique and Belgium. He has advised P & I Clubs, shipowners and underwriters in South Africa, Namibia, England, Italy, France, Belgium and the United States.
- BA LLB (University of Cape Town)
- LLM (University of Wales)
- Post graduate diploma in environmental law (UKZN)
- Advised major petrochemical company on various issues arising out of the operating of the SBM Unit at Durban and the impact of sanctions on the importation of Iranian crude oil;
- Advised major bitumen importer on regulatory and licensing issues at the Port of Richards Bay;
- Advised major petrochemical company on the loss of a consignment of crude oil carried on board the mv Kythira;
- Drafted various charterparties and sales agreements for the importation and exportation of bulk cargoes for a major South African exporters and manufacturers;
- Advised Shell and BP South African Petroleum Refineries (Pty Ltd [“SAPREF”] with the Durban Dig-Out Port;
- Advised Shell S.A. Energy (Pty) Limited with the Durban Dig-Out Port for Shell Chemicals.
- Andrew has been recognised for Shipping by Chambers Global, 2017."I sometimes wonder when he sleeps," stated one source. "He seems to work 24/7 and is incredibly conscientious" and is "always immaculate, and always excellent."
- He is referred to in The Expert Guides: Shipping and Maritime Lawyers and the 2009 and 2010 editions of WHO'S WHO LEGAL, The International Who's Who of Business Lawyers, Shipping & Maritime.
- He was also listed as a leading lawyer in the Transport industry by Who's Who Legal Transport 2015 (Aviation contentious & Shipping). Andrew is also listed as a recommended shipping and transport lawyer in Legal500, 2018. Who's Who Legal, 2016 listed Andrew as an expert in Transport (Shipping).
- He authored the chapter on South African Law of Cargo Insurance as part of the International Cargo Insurance book edited by John Dunt which focuses on those areas where South African law has developed differently from English Law and avoids dealing with general insurance principles that are not relevant to marine cargo insurance.
- He was the President of the South African Maritime Law Association from 2008 - 2010, and is currently the Chairman of the Admiralty sub-committee of that association.
- He led the South African delegation to the CMI Conference in Athens, 2008, Beijing in 2012 and Dublin, Ireland in 2013.
- He currently sits as a member of a CMI International Working Group for the Judicial Sale of Ships.
Publication | March 2018
Publication | March 2018
Publication | June 2017
Publication | October 19, 2016