Related services and key industries
John Verrill is an English qualified solicitor who works in the London office. His practice centers on domestic and international insolvency work for creditors, debtors and insolvency and restructuring professionals.
John is also authorized to act as insolvency practitioner by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. He has over 25 years of experience in the profession which has covered a wide range of sectors and issues, many of them complex and with a cross-border element.
1977 - LL.B., with honors, University College London
- England and Wales
- Acting for a Russian financial institution, Alfa Bank, to enforce a Russian court judgment for £8.5 million in the English courts against a former oligarch residing in the jurisdiction, in the case Open Joint Stock Co Alfa-Bank v Trefilov .
- Acting for the liquidators of various BVI and Cayman based companies in respect of transaction avoidance and complex disclosure issues including Tchenguiz & ors v Director of the Serious Fraud Office and Akers & McDonald .
- Acting for the Receivers and Managers of the Consumers Trust (David Rubin and Henry Lan) in the landmark case Rubin v Eurofinance which was heard in the UK Supreme Court concerning the enforceability at common law of US Bankruptcy judgments.
- Acting for the English Football League in connection with the insolvencies of its member clubs. These include Plymouth Argyle, Portsmouth and more recently Coventry City. In the case of Plymouth he successfully defended The Football League in an attempt by HM Revenue & Customs to challenge the legality of the “Football Creditor Rule”.
- Acting for the Compulsory Liquidators of Hellas Telecommunications (Luxembourg) II SCA in investigating the causes of its failure. This is a complex matter where the firm acts in England for the liquidators and in New York in the Chapter 15 case.
- Acting for Grant Thornton as liquidators of Madoff Securities International Limited, Bernard Madoff’s UK operation, in an advisory role in particular with regard to trans-border data flows, asset realization and the pursuit of delinquent officers of the Company.
- Acting for Grant Thornton as Official Liquidators of Saad Investment Company Limited and Singularis Holdings Limited (both in liquidation in Cayman) in respect of the investigation of antecedent transactions.
- Acting for Grant Thornton as liquidators of various BVI companies in complex contested discovery proceedings in the High Court.
- Acting on the establishment of a receivables finance business exploring the novel ability to provide liquidity through buyer-led finance sourced from non-bank institutions which will have the ability to access the SME sector with a rated product.
- Acting for the Board of the Pension Protection Fund in connection with the reorganization of T&N (Federal Mogul) in the UK.
- Acting for the directors of MFI on its aggressive reorganization in 2006 including advice on directors’ duties and liability, including pensions and D&O/indemnity issues.
- Acting for the Board of the Pension Protection Fund in relation to the Company Voluntary Arrangements of Focus DIY, Stylo Barrett and the Scheme of Arrangement of Cuttles Plc.
- Acting in a number of leading cases involving security and priority in receivables financing transactions, most recently in respect of the Financial Collateral Arrangements Regulations (reported as Gray v G-T-P Ltd).
- Chambers UK - restructuring and insolvency, Chambers & Partners, 2013, 2015
- The Legal 500 UK - restructuring and insolvency, The Legal 500, 2013
- IFLR 1000, Restructuring and insolvency, International Financial Law Review, 2014
- Chambers UK, Chambers & Partners, “one of the doyens of the restructuring industry“ and a “very, very talented practitioner," 2015
- Chambers UK, Chambers & Partners, "a ‘stalwart of the insolvency market’ and continues to enjoy the respect of his peers, who describe him as ‘a great guy and a very good lawyer,’” 2013
- The Legal 500 UK , The Legal 500, “[T]he ‘excellent’ John Verrill at Chadbourne & Parke LLP, [is known] in particular for insolvency litigation," 2013
- "Russian Debtors Can No Longer Hide from the Russian Double-Headed Eagle in England," Client Alert, June 5, 2014
- "Marks and Spencer v BNP Paribas Securities Services and its Impact on Lenders," Client Alert, January 17, 2014
- "Directors’ Duties Revisited – The Madoff Directors Case," Client Alert, October 18, 2013
- "The Snipping of the Golden Thread and the Sacking of the Temple of Universalism," INSOL Technical Series, No.26, July 2013
- "Sporting Competition Insolvency, eurofenix," The Journal of INSOL Europe, Spring 2013
- "Dealing with Wild Pensions Schemes," Recovery Magazine, Spring 2011
- "Madoff and Asset Recovery Issues," Recovery Magazine, Summer 2010
- "The Principle of Assistance in Cross-Border Insolvency Cases: Submission to the Jurisdiction – Judicial Parallelism, eurofenix," The Journal of INSOL Europe, Winter 2010
- "Cross Border Data Transfer: In The Matter of Madoff International Securities Limited  EWHC 442 (Ch)," International Corporate Rescue, 2009
- "The True Scope of Company Voluntary Arrangements," Recovery Magazine, Autumn 2008
- "Unlocking Capital Factoring and Invoice Discounting," PLC, 2004
- "Insolvency Meetings Manual," Butterworths, 1995
- "Football Finance, R3 Football Finance – Half Day Courses," London, UK, March 6, 2014
- "Football Finance, R3 Football Finance – Half Day Courses," Manchester, UK, February 13, 2014
- "How do we deal with cross-border litigation in light of Rubin v Eurofinance?, Butterworths’ Insolvency Litigation Conference 2013," Central London, UK, November 26, 2013
- "Law enforcement and insolvency – A race to collect?," INSOL International, Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands, November 7, 2013
- "Emerging Roles for Examiners in Contested Chapter 11 Mega-Cases and Similar Trends in Other Jurisdictions," New York, NY, October 22, 2013
- "Football Finance and the Creditors Rule, R3 Breakfast Briefings 2012," London, UK, November 28, 2012
- "Cross Border Asset Recovery, R3’s Asset Recovery Course," United Kingdom, October-December 2012
- "Blood, Sweat and Tears – Money v Sweat Equity: the Competing Rights of Creditors and Pension Holders of Insolvent Entities, IBA annual conference 2012," Dublin, Ireland, October 3, 2012
- "International Financial Crime, Cambridge University Symposium on International Financial Crime," United Kingdom, September 2011
- "Credit Crunch Litigation – Ponzi Schemes, British Institute of International and Comparative Law," United Kingdom, March 2011
- Chair, "Ponzi Schemes: A Recent Discovery?," INSOL, Dubai, United Arab Emirates, February 2010
- Panel Member, "Deriving Derivatives: Understanding the Insolvency Implications of Credit Default Swaps and other Derivatives," INSOL, Vancouver, Canada, June 2009
- Chair, "Stress Management for Recovery Professionals," INSOL, Sydney, Australia, 2005
- Member, Law Society of England & Wales
- Member, Association of Business Recovery Professionals, R3 (president, 2004-2005)
- Member, Insolvency Lawyers Association (president, 1999-2000)
- Member, INSOL International (director, 2001-2005)
- Member, INSOL Europe; Member of Insolvency Practitioners Association