Norton Rose Fulbright South Africa Inc
Related services and key industries
Natasha is an associate in the insurance litigation team in Johannesburg.
Natasha focuses on insurance litigation and general liability claims, more specifically medical malpractice and personal injury claims, all risks cover, business interruption, subrogated recoveries and defenses. Natasha has a particular interest in medical malpractice and personal injury matters.
She provides regulatory advice to some of the major private hospitals, both locally and internationally, on aspects concerning terms and conditions of admission, policy interpretation, policy review and policy drafting, and she has also provided coverage advice.
Natasha has dealt with complex arbitrations on behalf of both local and international clients.
Natasha graduated with a Bachelor of Laws degree and excelled in her fields of specialisation being Forensic Medicine, Third Party Compensation and Sale and Lease.
Natasha has written and published articles on medical and healthcare law related topics which have featured in various magazines and medical chronicles.
She has also presented at medico-legal symposiums, seminars and conferences, and has given exclusive interviews to the media on topical issues concerning medical and healthcare law.
Bachelor of Laws - Unisa
- Attorney qualified in South Africa 2018
- Defending high value medical malpractice claims instituted against public and private healthcare sectors. These claims may be classified under the most common categories of medical negligence claims including:
- Childbirth injuries, such as cerebral palsy and brain damage;
- Incorrect diagnosis, monitoring and treatment, including retinopathy of prematurity; orthopaedic injuries, septicaemia, treatment of cerebrospinal leak;
- Surgical error/wrongful surgery as a result of endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography resulting in perforated duodenum and post ERCP pancreatitis, wrongful diagnosis of ectopic pregnancy.
- Defending local and international insurers in medical malpractice claims for professional negligence.
- Personal injury matters including workplace injuries, slip and trip matters, injuries sustained following use of escalators and falls into manholes.
- Regulatory advice to private hospitals locally and internationally regarding compliance with healthcare legislation.
- Reviewing and drafting internal policies, procedures and protocol documents for hospitals and a major mining company.
- August 2019, "Think twice before rejecting a Calderbank offer", https://www.financialinstitutionslegalsnapshot.com/2019/08/think-twice-before-rejecting-a-calderbank-offer/
- July 2019, "The rise of the human genome", https://www.medicalacademic.co.za/news/the-rise-of-the-human-genome/
- May 2019, "Court of Appeal swayed by surgeon's detailed med scheme notes", https://www.medicalbrief.co.za/archives/court-appeal-swayed-surgeons-detailed-med-scheme-notes/
- May 2019, "Neurologist's failure to inform patient of medication side-effects", https://www.medicalbrief.co.za/archives/neurologists-failure-inform-patient-medication-side-effects/
- March 2019. "What's on the insurance horizon in 2019?", Norton Rose Fulbright SA Inc. Financial Institutions Blog https://www.financialinstitutionslegalsnapshot.com/2019/05/whats-on-the-horizon-for-the-insurance-industry-in-2019/
- February 2019. "Is it safe to rely on a court to draw an adverse inference from the absence of a witness", De Rebus http://www.derebus.org.za/is-it-safe-to-rely-on-a-court-to-draw-an-adverse-inference-from-the-absence-of-a-witness/
- January 2019, "Personalised medicine: Implications for insurance industry and consumers", Moneymarketing Magazine https://www.financialinstitutionslegalsnapshot.com/2019/01/personalised-medicine-implications-for-the-insurance-industry-and-for-consumers/
- January 2019, "Damages not recoverable for raising IVF conceived child born without father's informed consent", Norton Rose Fulbright SA Inc. Financial Institutions blog https://www.financialinstitutionslegalsnapshot.com/2019/01/damages-not-recoverable-for-raising-ivf-conceived-child-born-without-fathers-informed-consent/
- December 2018, "The effect of legalisation of cannabis on the insurance industry', Norton Rose Fulbright LLP, Insurance Focus https://www.financialinstitutionslegalsnapshot.com/2019/01/personalised-medicine-implications-for-the-insurance-industry-and-for-consumers/
- January 2018, "Is a 'union style' medical indemnity cover the answer?", Medical Brief https://www.medicalbrief.co.za/archives/union-style-medical-indemnity-cover-answer/
- April 2017, "Private Practice Pains", Drum Magazine and You magazine https://financialinstitutionslegalsnapshot.lexblogplatformthree.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/161/2018/01/Drum-article.pdf
- February 2017, "SA's obs-gynae crisis: Innovative Risk Solutions Needed", Medical Brief https://www.medicalbrief.co.za/archives/sas-obs-gynae-crisis-innovative-risk-solutions-needed/
- January 2017, "Construction in South Africa: Beware of Bespoke Contracts", Norton Rose Fulbright Inside Africa http://www.insideafricalaw.com/blog/construction-in-south-africa-beware-of-bespoke-contracts
Law Society of the Northern Provinces
Publication | January 22, 2020
Publication | December 2018