Related services and key industries
Ted Brook is a litigation lawyer in Toronto with a focus on commercial and regulatory disputes. Ted provides strategic advice and representation to businesses and individuals faced with litigation or potential litigation. He has experience conducting trials and appeals, and has appeared as counsel in the Ontario Court of Justice, the Ontario Small Claims Court, the Ontario Superior Court of Justice, the Court of Appeal for Ontario, the Federal Court (Canada) and the Federal Court of Appeal (Canada). Ted has experience with high-stakes disputes and class action lawsuits.
Ted previously clerked for the Ontario Superior Court of Justice in Toronto, where he worked closely with trial judges on complex civil actions, multi-party commercial disputes and insolvency proceedings. He also assisted with a wide variety of administrative and public law matters before the Ontario Divisional Court, including judicial reviews and statutory appeals.
Ted won several academic awards in law school, including prizes for administrative law, constitutional law, legal theory, sentencing and imprisonment and best substantial term paper.
- Ontario 2015
Ted's recent representative experience includes:
- Contracts: representing an Ontario software company in contract litigation with a US shipping company
- Negligence: defending a Canadian bank against claims of negligence and breach of trust
- Arbitration: representing an accounting firm in arbitration with a former client under Ontario's Arbitration Act, 1991 regarding disputed invoices
- Class Actions: opposing certification of a proposed class action against an Ontario aggregate company
- Shareholder: acting for a Quebec biopharmaceutical company in Ontario oppression remedy proceedings with jurisdictional issues
- Technology: defending a global cybersecurity company in a proposed consumer protection class action
- Regulatory: representing a Quebec start-up company in proceedings to oppose the release of confidential business information under Canada's Access to Information Act
- Quasi-Criminal: defending Ontario companies in the food and restaurant industry against prosecutions under Ontario's Provincial Offences Act
- Public Sector: prosecuting an application for judicial review on behalf of industry stakeholders to quash a decision of the Ontario Minister of Health and Long-Term Care
- Real Property: advising and representing commercial tenants and landlords in lease disputes under Ontario's Commercial Tenancies Act
- Environmental: acting for a global industrial manufacturer in a multi-party environmental lawsuit involving historical claims
Canadian Bar Association
Ontario Bar Association
The Law Society of Upper Canada
The Advocates' Society
Kensington-Bellwoods Community Legal Clinic (Board of Directors)