Related services and key industries
Chaim Wachsberger represents sponsors, equity investors, and financing sources in connection with energy, transportation and other industrial and infrastructure projects in the United States and abroad. Mr. Wachsberger’s work includes acquisitions and divestitures, portfolio financings, and the development and project financing of major projects. These projects often involve complex structures, multilateral or export credit agency participation, and political risk insurance products. Mr. Wachsberger headed the project finance group from 1997 until 2010 and served on the management committee from 1992 to 2013. He is an adjunct professor at NYU Law School co-teaching a course on US energy transactions.
JD, Columbia Law School, 1976
BA, City University of New York, Queens College, 1973
- New Jersey State Bar
- New York State Bar
- Representing Cape Wind in the construction and term financing of its 468 MW offshore wind project.
- Represented Tenaska Power Funding in the US$455 million refinancing of three gas-fired power plants.
- Represented GE Capital as lender to a private equity fund investing in a 308 MW combined cycle gas turbine power plant located in Kathleen, Georgia.
- Represented Duke Energy Renewables and Sumitomo as developers in the financing of two wind farms in Kansas.
- Represented Duke Energy Corporation as sponsor in the US$231 million financing of a 200 MW wind project in Wyoming.
- Represented Duke Energy Corporation as sponsor in the US$375 million financing of a 290 MW wind portfolio in the United States.
- Represented GE EFS in the US$130 million refinancing of a coal-fired plant.
- Representing Credit Suisse in the US$1 billion financing, including DOE loan guaranties, of NextEra's 250 MW solar thermal Genesis power plant in California.
- Represented Société Générale in the US$210 million construction financing of PL Propylene, a 1.2 billion lb/year propane dehydrogenation plant to produce propylene.
- Represented DukeNet Communications LLC in procurement of a US$150 million senior-secured credit facility for expansion of its telecommunications network, future acquisitions, and general corporate purposes.
- Represented Tenaska Power Fund in its US$1.65 billion acquisition of 3,000 MW from Constellation Power.
- Represented Credit Suisse as the financing source to a bidding consortium for the 407 Toll Road in Canada.
- Represented a consortium in its tender to finance, build and operate the first line of the Tel Aviv Metro.
- Represented Credit Suisse, as underwriter, in connection with the Rule 144A bond financing of the Yam Tethys gas field development off the coast of Israel.
- Represented Duke Energy Capital Corporation in the US$1.05 billion structured financing of a portfolio of seven power projects.
- Represented GE Capital in its acquisition of a portfolio of interests in Cogentrix's power plants.
- Led the representation of the consortium developing the Bolivia-Brazil natural gas pipeline.
- Led the representation of Germany's Kreditanstalt für Wiederaufbau (KfW) in its capacity as lender to Enron's Cuiabá project, a combined power and natural gas pipeline venture.
- Represented the Overseas Private Investment Corporation (OPIC), as co-lender with the U.S. Export-Import Bank, in connection with the financing of the 469 MW Araucária power project, fired by natural gas delivered by the Bolivia-Brazil pipeline.
- Represented The AES Corporation in connection with the acquisition and project financing of AES' 4,000 MW Southland project in California.
- Who's Who Legal, project finance, Law Business Research Ltd., 2018
- Chambers Global, Projects, Chambers & Partners, 2009 - 2019
- Chambers USA, Nationwide: Project finance, 2001-2006, 2008 –2018
- The Legal 500 US, The Legal 500, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2015
- IFLR1000, Euromoney Institutional Investor PLC, 2012
- Who’s Who Legal, Marquis, 2012
- The Best Lawyers in America, Best Lawyers, 2006-2008 and 2010 – 2013, 2018 - 2019
- New York Metro Super Lawyers, Energy & Natural Resources, Thomson Reuters, 2006 – 2018
- Member, State of New York Bar Association
- Member, State of New Jersey Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association (Section on Corporation, Banking and Business Law)
- Adjunct professor, NYU School of Law