Geoffrey G. Gilbert
Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Geoffrey G. GilbertvCard
Related services and key industries
Geoffrey Gilbert practises in the areas of infrastructure, mining and project finance. He also provides ongoing general corporate and commercial law advice. Mr. Gilbert is repeatedly recommended in mining, infrastructure, project finance and corporate commercial law by Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory. He is the chair of our national infrastructure practice.
Mr. Gilbert has a history of involvement in all aspects of mining and mineral resource development. He regularly assists our clients on both sides of the Canada-US border and internationally with royalty agreements and offtake arrangements, as well as public and private financing by mining entities; bank financing (including mine project financing and corporate lending); mergers and acquisitions of mining companies and assets; and structuring and implementing national and international mining joint ventures. From a projects perspective, Mr. Gilbert has experience in PPP, AFP and mining projects. He has acted for governmental authorities, sponsors, lenders, contractors and suppliers, meaning he can anticipate and understand issues and problems that may arise during a project and find constructive solutions.
Before joining our Ottawa office, Mr. Gilbert spent almost four years in private practice in New York City, acquiring experience in project finance, cross-border mergers and acquisitions and US securities law. Previously he was in private practice in Toronto where he focused on corporate and commercial and securities law.
LL.B., Western University, 1996
B.Adm., University of Ottawa, 1993
- New York State Bar 2000
- Ontario 1998
Mr. Gilbert has recently acted for the following clients:
- Gahcho Kué diamond mine, Canada – advising the mandated lead arrangers on all aspects of the financing of Mountain Province’s interest in its joint venture with De Beers, to develop the Gahcho Kué diamond mine
- Eglinton Crosstown LRT project – counsel to both the design-build joint venture and the maintenance and rehabilitation joint venture to one of the short-listed proponents on the Eglinton Crosstown LRT project
- Waterloo LRT Project – counsel to the Region of Waterloo in connection with the design, build, finance, maintenance and operation of the light rail transit project in Waterloo, Ontario. Mr. Gilbert played a lead role, advising on all aspects of this transaction from procurement phase to the completion of the competitive process. He was involved in negotiating the funding agreement, projects agreements and other related ancillary documents, liaising with Infrastructure Ontario (the commercial procurement lead) and leading the region through the project's procurement and competitive phases
- Augusta Resources’ Rosemont Copper Project – advising the lenders on all aspects of the secured project financing including the offtake arrangements in the Santa Cruz Valley in southern Arizona
- Klondex Mines Ltd. – advising the lenders on all aspects of the secured financing for the acquisition of the Midas mine and related ore milling facility located in Nevada
- Chambers Canada, Nationwide: Projects - PPP & Infrastructure, Chambers and Partners, 2020
- International Financial Law Review 1000, Canada: Project development; Project finance, 2020
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2020: recommended in Banking & Financial Institutions; Corporate Commercial Law; Infrastructure Law; Project Finance; Transportation (Road & Rail)
- Best Lawyers in Canada (2010-2017): Corporate Law
- The Legal 500, Canada (2016): Corporate & Commercial/Securities
- Ottawa Business Journal’s “Forty Under 40 Award” (2010)
- Canadian Bar Association