International arbitration is most effectively handled by a team with global reach and experience. Our world-renowned international arbitration team, with more than 150 lawyers across the globe, is one of the few global legal practices with the experience and resources to assist clients from the onset of a dispute, through to enforcement of an award.
“Handles high-value commercial and investment disputes, representing states, corporations and other investors under a variety of institutional and ad hoc rules.” Chambers Global, 2020
Because numerous jurisdictions and legal systems can intersect in one international arbitration proceeding, our team operates in cross-border teams, regardless of where they are physically located, which allows us to cover legal disputes all across the world. We know the sectors in which our clients operate – our lawyers are highly skilled legal practitioners with extensive knowledge across a host of key industries including financial institutions; energy; infrastructure, mining and commodities; transport; technology and innovation; and life sciences and healthcare.
Our lawyers handle some of the most complex, high-value and strategically important international arbitrations in the world, working closely with our clients to determine and achieve their commercial objectives in a quick and cost-effective manner. We advise on all aspects of arbitration, from drafting suitable clauses to advising on the type and seat of arbitration, the formation of a tribunal, arbitral procedure and enforcement of the award. Our lawyers are fluent in a number of languages and are very experienced in conducting their own advocacy; additionally, many often sit as arbitrators in high-value cases, demonstrating that the legal marketplace agrees with their legal interpretations. Finally, many of our lawyers hold or have held leadership positions in the world’s major arbitral institutions.
Our areas of work include
- All types of institutional and ad hoc commercial arbitrations
- Alternative dispute resolution (ADR)
- Bilateral and multilateral investment treaty disputes including Energy Charter Treaty and NAFTA arbitrations, and both ICSID and ad hoc (UNCITRAL) arbitrations
- Civil law and common-law practice and procedure
- Dispute resolution and litigation
- Post-award enforcement
- Risk management
- Treaty-based arbitrations
Awards and accolades
- Chambers Global, Global-wide: Arbitration (International), Chambers and Partners, 2020
- Global Arbitration Review, GAR 100: Listed among the world’s top 100 arbitration practices, Law Business Research, 2020