Judges agree that appellate lawyers require a skillset that is far different from those at the trial level. The objectives and audience they face are different and the time frame is much tighter – sometimes just minutes – compared to the days and weeks of preparation for trial.
“A global firm with a deep bench in dispute resolution.” - Chambers Global, 2018
By concentrating on appeals, our global team of appellate lawyers can provide experienced, high-quality and cost-effective appellate legal services to clients worldwide. While the heart of appellate work is handling appeals, our lawyers have also developed substantial experience in complex litigation, including class actions and mass torts.
Working closely with our trial teams, our appellate lawyers are primed to handle any appeal that later arises with minimal transition, both in terms of time and expense. This partnering effort has worked well over the years, especially in complex cases involving multiple and inter-related legal issues and difficult legal strategies.
Our appellate lawyers understand jurisdictional rules and can quickly absorb scientific, technical and other specialized aspects of multifaceted cases. With experience at all levels of federal, state, appeals and constitutional courts worldwide, our global appellate team’s service spans the range of substantive and procedural civil law applicable to appeals.
Our areas of work include
- Appeal monitoring, both for strategy and advocacy
- Appellate applications, including jurisdiction, leave to appeal and other procedural matters
- Appellate briefs/factums and oral argument
- Assessing appeal strength, including potential grounds for appeal
- Post-trial motions
- Preparation of appeal records
- Preparing or responding to motions for summary judgement and other dispositive motions
- Representation both of main parties and amici/interveners, commencing at any stage of the litigation
- Research and analysis, particularly of complex legal issues
- Temporary injunctions and interdicts, certification matters and other complex evidentiary hearings
- Trial monitoring to assist in preserving appellate complaints, particularly when the case poses a high risk of an adverse jury verdict
Awards and accolades
- Chambers Global, Global-wide: Dispute Resolution, Chambers & Partners, 2018