David E. Barrett is a member of Norton Rose Fulbright's Corporate, M&A and Securities and Financial Institutions practice areas. He advises buyers, sellers and investors on acquisitions and disposals, restructurings, securities offerings, joint ventures and other transactions involving industrial and financial businesses of all types. A significant number of his clients are domiciled outside of the U.S., and Mr. Barrett has considerable experience representing non-U.S. clients on acquisitions and divestitures of U.S. targets.
Mr. Barrett has extensive experience with transactions involving financial institutions, financial services firms and financial technology ("FinTech") businesses. His clients include banks, insurance companies, investment managers and advisors, including private equity and hedge fund sponsors, wealth managers, broker-dealers and other financial investors, including pension funds.
Mr. Barrett also advises insurance companies and managing general agents on the underwriting of transactional risk policies, including M&A representations and warranties policies.
In addition to financial institutions, Mr. Barrett counsels both emerging and mature technology firms, as well as venture capital and other investors active in the industry. In particular, Mr. Barrett focuses on businesses innovating in financial technology, including firms focused on the application of blockchain and distributed ledger technologies.
JD, Harvard Law School, 2001
BA, Emory University, 1998
Mercer Investments, a division of the Marsh & McLennan Companies, in its acqusition of Summit Strategies Group
Fidante Partners in its strategic partnership and acquisition of a minority stake in Latigo Partners
Aquiline Capital Partners in the sale of Beach & Associates to Acrisure
Konica Minolta, Inc. in its acquisition of Invicro LLC
- Credit Suisse in the sale of NEXT Investors's interests in FastMatch, Inc. to Euronext, in connection with Euronext's acquisition of 90% of FastMatch in a transaction valued at $170 million in equity value
- Carillon Tower Advisers, Inc., a division of Raymond James Financial, Inc., in its acquisition of Scout Investments Inc. from UMB Financial Corp. for $172.5 million
- Siebert Financial Corp. in its sale to Kennedy Cabot Acquisition, LLC
- Diversified financial services firm in the acquisition of a wealth management business from a global bank
- Financial and strategic buyers of minority interests in asset management firms, including hedge, private equity and other fund sponsors utilizing alternative strategies
- Diversified financial services firm in multiple acquisitions of asset management firms and financial technology businesses
- Global insurance company in its acquisition of a retirement plan servicing business
- Publicly-traded asset management firm in its sale to a multinational banking and financial services corporation
- Global banking and financial services company in the sale of its primary U.S. asset management division to private equity
- U.S. brokerage firm in its sale to a global financial services firm
- Global financial services firm in the sale of its minority interest in an investment and technology firm
Rankings and recognitions
- New York Metro Rising Star, Mergers and Acquisitions, Thomson Reuters, 2013-2018
- Legal 500 US, recommended lawyer, M&A: Middle-Market ($500m-999m), The Legal 500, 2017-2018
Co-Speaker, "Initial Coin Offerings," Financial Services 40-Minute Briefing, October 5, 2017
- Co-Presenter, "Blockchain and Smart Contracts: An Introduction," Marsh USA web seminar, July 27, 2017
- Moderator, "Fintech: Smart contracts and regulating for innovation," Norton Rose Fulbright, January 5, 2017
Co-Speaker, "Brexit," Financial Services 40-Minute Briefing, November 2, 2016
- Speaker, "Smart Contracts," ACC Annual Meeting, October 2016
- Moderator, "Brexit: What it is and how it will affect your business," Norton Rose Fulbright, May 2016
On September 26, the parent company of the Chicago Board Options Exchange announced the $3.2 billion acquisition of Bats Global Markets..
October 31, 2016
Global law firm Norton Rose Fulbright has advised Thomson Reuters Founders Share Company on the sale of Thomson Reuters Corporation on a majority stake in its financial and risk business (“F&R Business”)..
February 01, 2018
Global law firm Norton Rose Fulbright has advised Aquiline Capital Partners (Aquiline) on the sale of its interest in London-based broker Beach & Associates (Beach) to Acrisure LLC (Acrisure). .
January 18, 2018