Patrick D. Dolan joined Norton Rose Fulbright in 2017. He focuses his practice on asset-backed and mortgage-backed securitizations, including those involving innovative structures. Patrick has more than 30 years of experience representing warehouse lenders, issuers, underwriters, investors, multi-seller commercial paper conduits and a national rating agency.
Patrick has worked on financings and securitizations of various asset types, including residential and commercial PACE (Property Assessed Clean Energy) bonds, tax liens, structured settlements, peer-to-peer/marketplace loans, trade receivables, aircraft (and aircraft engine) leases, subprime auto loans, life insurance, credit tenant leases, whole businesses, utility stranded costs, healthcare receivables, residential mortgage loans, container leases and dealer floorplan loans.
Patrick was the chair from 2015-2018 of the New York City Bar Association's Structured Finance Committee, which covers legal and regulatory issues related to the securitization industry, including on its securitizationflash blog. Patrick is also the editor of two books about securitization: "Securitizations: Legal and Regulatory Issues" published by Law Journal Press and "Structured Finance & Securitization — Getting the Deal Through" published by Law Business Research. Structured Finance & Securitisation 2018
JD, The University of Chicago Law School, 1987
BA, Swarthmore College, 1983
- Representing a national rating agency in connection with a securitization of solar finance assets.
- Representing an underwriter in connection with a securitization of residential mortgage loans.
- Representing an issuer in connection with a $350 million rated securitization of aircraft engine leases.
- Representing an investor in the Class E Notes of a $586 million rated aircraft lease securitization.
- Represented a lender in connection with a securitization warehouse facility for marketplace loans.
- Represented an issuer in connection with a rated securitization of PACE (property assessed clean energy) bonds.
- Represented the lead investor in a $900 million whole business rated term securitization by Coinstar.
- Served as servicer's and issuer's co-counsel for $165 million rated term securitization of property tax liens.
- Served as lender's counsel in connection with several securitization warehouse facilities for PACE bonds.
- Represented a lender in connection with a securitization warehouse facility for solar loans.
Rankings and recognitions
- Legal 500 US, recommended lawyer, securitization, The Legal 500
- New York Top Rated Lawyer, LexisNexis Martindale-Hubbell
- The Best Lawyers in America, securitization and structured finance, Best Lawyers, 2013 - 2019
- AV Preeminent rating from Martindale-Hubbell
- IFLR (International Financial Law Review) 1000 (2019): Capital Markets: Structured Finance and Securitization
- Contributing editor, "Structured finance and securitization 2017," Getting the Deal Through, April 2017
- Author, "Potential Legal and Regulatory Issues Affecting the Securitization Industry in 2017," Journal of Structured Finance, Spring 2017
- Co-author, "Recent Property Assessed Clean Energy Loan Developments," Law360, February 17, 2016
- Editor, Securitizations: Legal and Regulatory Issues, Law Journal Press 2018
- Speaker, "The 6th Annual Green Investing Conference," New York, New York, April 18, 2018
- Moderator, "Outlook for PACE (Property Assessed Clean Energy) Loans in Europe," Global ABS, Barcelona, Spain, June 6, 2017
- Speaker, "Current Issues in the Financing and Securitization of PACE Assets Webinar," Webinar, August 3, 2016
- Moderator, "Current Issues in Securitization," New York City Bar Association event, New York, New York, July 2016
- Speaker, "PACE Financing," ABS Vegas 2016, Las Vegas, Nevada, March 1, 2016
- Moderator, "Current Issues in Securitization," New York City Bar Association event, New York, New York, April 14, 2015
- Speaker, "PACE Financing," ABS Vegas 2015, Las Vegas, Nevada, February 9, 2015
- Speaker, "Securitization of Solar Assets in the US Market – a New Emerging Asset," TSI Congress 2014, Berlin, Germany, October 1, 2014
Memberships and activities
- Chair, Structured Finance Committee of the New York City Bar Association, 2015 - 2018
- Member, Structured Finance Industry Group's LIBOR Task Force Committee
- Member, Structured Finance Industry Group's Chinese Market Committee
This deal was voted “Best Esoteric Deal” at GlobalCapital’s fifth annual US Securitization Awards dinner..
June 12, 2018
The issues that appeared to attract the most attention in the US securitization industry during 2016 were....
April 25, 2017
Global law firm Norton Rose Fulbright has advised Al Rayan Bank Plc (Al Rayan) on a £250 million Sharia-compliant securitisation of home purchase plans (HPPs)..
February 16, 2018
Norton Rose Fulbright today announced that Patrick D. Dolan, an experienced structured finance and securitization lawyer, has joined the global law firm's New York office as a partner. He comes to Norton Rose Fulbright from Dechert LLP..
January 03, 2017