Linda L. Addison
Past Managing Partner
Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Related services and key industries
- Litigation and disputes
- Class actions
- Securities litigation, regulation and enforcement
- International arbitration
- Corporate governance
- Life sciences and pharmaceuticals
Key industry sectors
Linda Addison is Past US Managing Partner and Chair of the US Management Committee. Prior to heading the firm, Linda served as Global Head of Dispute Resolution and Litigation, the world's largest litigation practice, and Partner-in-Charge of the firm's New York office.
For more than three decades Linda has been a trusted advisor to and lead counsel for CEOs, corporate boards, and C-Suite executives of the world's leading global companies across multiple industry sectors, both regulated and unregulated. An experienced corporate board member who serves or has served on the board or advisory board of three public companies and two private companies, she currently focuses on corporate governance, executive compensation, diversity and inclusion, risk, technology, ESG, and cybersecurity oversight.
Linda is recognized for her skills as a business leader, legal strategist, negotiator, and trial lawyer. Crain's New York Business named her one of the "50 Most Powerful Women in New York." The National Law Journal named her one of the "50 Most Influential Women Lawyers in America" and one of the "100 Most Influential Lawyers in America." The Texas Lawyer named Linda the number one "Go-To Lawyer" for commercial litigation in its Go-To Guide, and honored her with its first Lifetime Achievement Award. The New York Law Journal honored her as a Distinguished Leader.
The American Bar Association awarded Linda its Margaret Brent Women Lawyers of Achievement Award, which recognizes the accomplishments of women lawyers who have achieved professional excellence and paved the way to success for other women. Prior award recipients include U.S. Supreme Court Justices Sandra Day O'Connor and Ruth Bader Ginsburg.
Linda is a member of the Council on Foreign Relations and the Board of Visitors of M.D. Anderson Cancer Center. A Catalyst board member, Linda has long worked to advance women in the workplace, in law, business leadership, and on corporate boards.
Named a Distinguished Alumna of the University of Texas at Austin, Linda serves as a Trustee of the University of Texas Law School Foundation and as a Lifetime Member of the Executive Committee of the Chancellor's Council of the University of Texas System. She is Founding President of the Center for Women in Law.
Linda was profiled in the stories, "Able to Defy Long Odds" and "Tough as Nails."
- Click here to view the American Bar Association's video biography of Linda.
- Click here to view the Texas Exes' video about Linda.
- Click here to view Linda's 2018 University of Texas School of Law Commencement Address.
- Click here to view Linda's acceptance remarks for the University of Texas at Austin's 2013 Distinguished Alumnus Award.
- Click here to view Linda's acceptance remarks for the ABA's Margaret Brent Award.
- To read more about Linda's professional and personal life, view her Wikipedia page.
Professional experienceExpand all Collapse all
JD, The University of Texas School of Law, 1976
BA, cum laude, Plan II Honors Program, The University of Texas, 1973
While in law school, Linda was the first woman Managing Editor of the Texas Law Review.
- District of Columbia Bar
- New York State Bar
- Texas State Bar
- Lead counsel for global energy company in successful defense of one of the first Dodd-Frank whistleblower cases filed in America
- Lead counsel for global medical device company in multi-jurisdictional product liability claims alleging defect in design of radiation-emitting computed tomography devices
- Lead counsel in the defense of the former directed trustee of the Enron 401(k) in the $1.7 billion Enron employee benefit plan class action cases; successfully negotiated settlement within policy limits
- Lead counsel in successful trial for $15 billion global manufacturer of consumer goods and products involving infringement of pet food patent; obtained jury verdict, judgment for money damages, and permanent injunction requiring six infringing product lines to be removed from market
- Lead counsel for multinational supplier of technology to oil and gas industry in case of first impression seeking to set aside a release involving diamond mining offshore South Africa; tried case to jury and defeated $500 million claim against client based on allegations of fraud and breach of contract; following jury trial, obtained take-nothing judgment; argued and won case before Texas Supreme Court
- Lead counsel for parent of insolvent Canadian gold mining company accused in a U.S. class action securities fraud case of the largest gold mining fraud in history, arising out of alleged Indonesian gold "salting" scheme; case settled favorably to client, allowing it to continue operations
- Lead counsel in AAA arbitration for manufacturer of ergonomic chairs involving patent and trademark infringement (award of arbitrator is confidential)
- Lead counsel in private arbitration for major computer manufacturer in dispute with two former senior executives (award of arbitrator is confidential)
- Lead counsel representing Housing Authority of the City of Houston in federal bench trial that permitted the City to revitalize public housing project using $54 million from the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development ("HUD")
- Lead counsel for elected city official in bench trial challenging election; election upheld
- Lead counsel in case that declared the Texas Blue Law unconstitutional (Linda is known as the lawyer who made it possible for Texans to shop on Sunday)
- Presidential Citation, University of Texas at Austin, 2015
- Distinguished Alumnus, University of Texas at Austin, 2013
- 50 Most Powerful Women in New York, Crain's New York Business, 2011, 2013, 2015
- New York Law Journal Distinguished Leader, New York Law Journal, ALM, 2017
- Margaret Brent Women Lawyers of Achievement Award, American Bar Association, 2009
- 50 Most Influential Women Lawyers in America, National Law Journal, 2007
- 100 Most Influential Lawyers in America, National Law Journal, 2006
- Outstanding Alumnus, University of Texas School of Law, 2008
- Go-To Lawyer, number one for commercial litigation, Texas Lawyer's Go-To Guide, 2007
- Lawdragon 500 Leading Litigators in America, Lawdragon, Inc., 2022
- 500 Leading Lawyers in America, Lawdragon, 2006, 2008, 2010 – 2017
- Litigation and Product Liability Lawyer, Expert Guides, 2012, 2014
- Woman in Business Law, Expert Guides, 2012 – 2014
- Top 50 Women Lawyers in New York, Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2017
- Top 250 Women in IP, Managing Intellectual Property, 2014
- Texas Super Lawyer, Business Litigation, Thomson Reuters, 2003 – 2020, 2022
- New York Metro Super Lawyer, Business Litigation, Thomson Reuters, 2013 – 2020, 2022
- Texas Top Rated Lawyer, LexisNexis Martindale-Hubbell, 2013 – 2014
- Legal 500 US, recommended lawyer, antitrust, The Legal 500, 2014
- Legal 500 US, trademarks, The Legal 500, 2013
- Best Lawyers - Commercial Litigation, Best Lawyers, 2022 - 2023
- The Best Lawyers in America, Best Lawyers, 1995 – 2021
- Chambers USA, New York: Litigation (General Commercial), Chambers and Partners, 2004 – 2015
- Who's Who in America, Marquis
- Who's Who in American Law, Marquis
- Who's Who of American Women, Marquis
A recognized authority on evidence, Linda has authored a leading book on evidence and has published approximately one hundred legal articles. Linda is the author of the books Texas Practice Guide: Evidence (Thomson West 2013), used by most judges and many lawyers in the State of Texas, and "Chapter 9 - Evidence: Burden of Proof, Admissibility and Objections" of Federal Civil Procedure & Evidence During Trial: 5th Circuit (West 1997).
Linda has been quoted in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, American Lawyer, Crain's New York Business, Texas Lawyer, Houston Chronicle and Houston Business Journal. She has been profiled in a variety of publications.
- Northern Trust Bank, N.A., Advisory Board (2008 - 2012)
- Center for Women in Law, Founder; Immediate Past President
- International Institute for Conflict Prevention and Resolution ("CPR"), Board of Directors (2009 - present)
- American Law Institute (ALI)
- American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA) (1996 - present)
- Texas Bar Foundation, Trustee (2003 - 2006)
- University of Texas Law School Foundation, Trustee (2009 - 2015,1994 - 2006)
- Bar Associations: American, New York, Texas, District of Columbia, New York City, Houston
- Second Circuit Federal Bar Council
- Bar Foundations: American, Texas, Houston (Life Fellow in all)
- Texas Law Review Ex-Editors' Association, Life Member
- United States Commission for the Preservation of America's Heritage Abroad (2006 - 2011)
- Partner, Partnership for New York (2009 - present)
- Council on Foreign Relations, New York, Women and Foreign Policy Advisory Council (2009 - present)
- FORTUNE/U.S. State Department International Women Leaders Mentoring Program, Mentor (2006 - present)
- W.O.M.E.N. in America, Board of Directors (2011 - present)
- Women's Forum of New York (2011 - present)
- Holocaust Museum Houston, Board of Directors (2000 - 2009) (Advisory Board 2009 - 2012)
- United Way of the Texas Gulf Coast
- 2006 Woman of the Year
- Chair, Women's Initiative, 2004 - 2005 (achieved first million dollar campaign, doubling previous campaign record)
- M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston
- The University Cancer Center Foundation, Board of Visitors (2006 - present)
- University of Texas System Chancellor's Council, Executive Committee
- Centennial Commission, University of Texas at Austin (1981-1983) (Following serious assessment of the university, established priorities and objectives for the university's future)
- Commission of 125, University of Texas at Austin (recommended strategic initiatives and made operational recommendations for the University's next two decades)
- Leadership Houston, Sustaining Member
- Girls Inc., Houston Chapter, Founding Guild Member
- Friar Society, Houston Chapter, Abbot (2004 - 2011)
18 lawyers named among Lawdragon 500 Leading Litigators in America
October 05, 2022
30 US lawyers recognized as 2022 New York Metro Super Lawyers, Rising Stars
September 29, 2022
49 lawyers recognized as 2022 Texas Super Lawyers
September 21, 2022