Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Related services and key industries
Luke Maher focuses his dispute resolution and litigation practice on commercial disputes, with a particular focus on construction disputes. He advises public and private clients in a number of other industries including finance, franchise, insurance, manufacturing, real estate and transportation. Luke has significant experience in the courtroom, including federal trial experience. He has litigated in state and federal courts at both the trial and appellate levels, and also has extensive arbitration and mediation experience. He is admitted to practice in Missouri and Illinois, as well as the U.S. District Courts for the Eastern District of Missouri, Western District of Missouri, and Southern District of Illinois.
In addition to his disputes practice, Luke represents clients in negotiation and drafting of development, construction, design, engineering, and related agreements. He represents owner, developer, and contractor clients in public and private construction projects, including hotels, energy and power plant facilities, condominium and multifamily residential housing developments, healthcare facilities, entertainment complexes, and shopping centers. Luke also advises owner, developer and contractor clients involved in ongoing construction projects with respect to preservation of contract claims and defenses and best practices for preparing for impending dispute resolution.
Previously, Luke was a Managing Associate at an international law firm.
JD, Saint Louis University School of Law, 2009
BA, Management Information Systems, University of Notre Dame, 2006
While in law school, Luke was an editor of the Saint Louis University Law Journal, Student Body President of the Student Bar Association and member of Alpha Sigma Nu Honor Society. He also earned the ALI-ABA Scholarship and Leadership Award, Academic Excellence Award and Dean's Scholar recognitions.
- Illinois State Bar
- Missouri State Bar
Luke's recent disputes experience includes:
- Represented owner of multi-family housing development in pursuit of damages for defective construction.
- Represented owner of luxury high-rise tower in pursuit of damages due to delayed and defective construction.
- Represented major telecommunications company in several lawsuits and in response to multiple claims, including breaches of construction contracts, trespass, condemnation, and personal injury.
- Defended national auto lender from several lawsuits and claims, including claims related to Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, Fair Credit Reporting Act, Telephone Consumer Protection Act, conspiracy, and negligent misrepresentation.
- Defended developer of wood frame multi-family housing development in personal injury claim resulting from alleged construction defects.
- Defended international trust investment company against investment suitability and trust mismanagement claims.
- Defended national investment banking company against mechanic's lien claims filed by general contractor and subcontractors.
- Defended seller of multi-family housing development from latent construction defect, product liability and unsafe condition claims.
- Conducted immediate response investigation of catastrophic injury claims allegedly resulting from unsafe premises and construction defects.
- Represented general contractor of multi-family housing development in claims that as-built conditions failed to comply with approved plans and specifications and code.
- Defended major provider of prison healthcare services against unfair competition and false advertising claims.
Luke's recent transactional and advisory experience includes:
- Represented major multi-family housing developer in numerous negotiations with architects, general contractors, and consultants.
- Represented major municipal utility company during negotiation of engineering, procurement and construction contract.
- Represented fund management company in negotiation of engineering, procurement and construction contracts for solar energy facilities.
- Represented distributor of electronic components and electromechanical products in negotiation of design-build and guaranteed maximum price contracts for expansion facility.
- Represented international dining and entertainment developer in negotiations with contractors, architects, and suppliers on multiple projects.
- Represented general contractor of multi-family housing development in negotiations with architect and subcontractors.
- "Construction Law Boot Camp," National Business Institute Seminar, June 24, 2019.
- "Triaging the Construction Contract: Key considerations a real estate professional should know when reviewing a construction contract," Norton Rose Fulbright Webinar, May 16, 2018.
- "Construction Contracts from Start to Finish," National Business Institute Seminar, May 15, 2018.
- "Drafting Construction Contracts to Prevent Future Dispute,." National Business Institute Seminar, November 10, 2017.
- "Becoming a Construction Lifeguard: Spotting and Rescuing the Troubled Construction Project," International Council of Shopping Centers Law Conference 2017, October 28, 2017.
- "Construction Law: Advanced Issues and Answers," National Business Institute Seminar, April 13, 2017.
- "Using Project Management Firms Effectively," International Council of Shopping Centers Law Conference 2016, October 29, 2016.
- "Public Contracts and Procurement," National Business Institute Seminar on Government Law, May 19, 2015.
- Luke was named a member of the FOCUS St. Louis Emerging Leaders Program in 2013.
- Luke volunteers his time to initiatives aimed at raising funding and awareness for the Siteman Cancer Center, including serving on the planning committee for the annual CUREiosity event, and participating in Pedal the Cause.
- Luke serves on the board for Playmakers, supporting United Services for Children, a nonprofit organization providing pediatric therapy and early intervention services for young children of all abilities.
Publication | March 26, 2020
US: COVID-19 force majeure notices for US construction projects: What’s the value of a general notice?
Publication | March 26, 2020
Publication | March 15, 2018