Julie Pateman Ward
Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Julie Pateman WardvCard
Related services and key industries
Julie Pateman Ward has more than 10 years of litigation experience primarily dealing with maritime casualty, contract and personal injury matters. She also has a broad range of experience with charterparty disputes, maritime attachments, vessel arrests, Jones Act issues, as well as, bankruptcy and restructuring issues. Julie has extensive trial experience at both Federal and State levels before judges and juries.
JD, cum laude, Albany Law School of Union University, 1995
BA, Political Science, Union College, 1991
- New York State Bar
- Represented ExxonMobil in relation to obtaining arrest warrants for the seizure of eight of Bouchard Transportation Co. vessels as security to ExxonMobil for unpaid fuel and lubricants. Within days, and before the vessels were seized by the US Marshals Service, the team worked out a settlement whereby Bouchard's owner paid ExxonMobil's claims in full, as well as lawyer fees and costs.
- Co-handled significant maritime casualty beginning with on-scene arrival and investigation; defended vessel owner/operator in subsequent lawsuit; prosecuted a third party action against vessel repair firm; and defended numerous claims resulting from the casualty.
- Representing secured creditors in Chapter 11 of Toisa Limited, a diversified shipping company- owner of tankers, bulkers and offshore support vessels.
- Represented boat manufacturer and prevailed before the New York State Court of Appeals in seminal case on maritime jurisdiction stemming from a product liability case.
- Defended cruise line in passenger personal injury matter in federal court and obtained a jury verdict for the defense
- Represented ferry owner in action by Jones Act seaman and prosecuted third party product liability claim against engine manufacturer
- Represented various cruise lines in numerous contract matters
- Defended vessel owners/operators in several multi-million dollar actions commenced by Jones Act seamen
- Legal 500, recommended lawyer, Industry focus - Transport: shipping - finance, The Legal 500, 2018 - 2019
- Maritime Law Association of the United States
- Women's International Shipping and Trading Association
- Connecticut Maritime Association
US Supreme Court provides key safe berth warranty guidance, but charterers’ due diligence obligation remains uncertain
Publication | June 29, 2020
Webinar | May 15, 2019
Webinar | April 10, 2019