Jason Alexander Smith
Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Jason Alexander SmithvCard
Related services and key industries
Prior to joining Norton Rose Fulbright, Jason A. Smith's practice was focused on transactional oil and gas law, where he was responsible for drafting various upstream and midstream agreements (including joint operating agreements, gathering agreements, and pipeline rights-of-way).
Additionally, Jason has done some commercial finance work, having drafted revolving and term-based lending transaction for various industries, including real estate acquisitions and reserve-based financings for clients in the oil and gas industry (including due diligence review of leveraged properties). He also has an extensive background in oil and gas title examination, having prepared numerous original drilling and leasehold title opinions, including stand-up examinations.
Since joining the firm, Jason has represented both buyers and sellers in numerous commercial real estate transactions, including multifamily and resort properties, as well as representing both borrowers and lenders in commercial real estate finance transactions.
Jason is Board Certified in Oil, Gas and Mineral Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.
JD, Phi Delta Phi, St. Mary's University School of Law, 2007
BA, Political Science, Texas A&M University, 1996
While in law school, Jason served as the Research and Articles Editor (2006-2007) and Staff Writer (2005-2006) for the St. Mary's Law Journal.
Jason is admitted to practice law in Texas.
- Texas State Bar
Oil and Gas Transactions:
- Represented a Fortune 500 oil and gas company in negotiating and drafting midstream agreements, including gas gathering agreements, interconnect agreements, right-of-way agreements, and pipeline assignments, for an area covering over 300 producing wells in Eastern New Mexico.
- Provided advice to major international oil and gas company on disputes regarding large-scale joint development agreements, purchase and sale agreements, and joint operating agreements.
- Member of the team representing a bankrupt publicly-traded offshore oil and gas exploration company divesting itself of numerous operating and working interests in the Gulf of Mexico.
- Represented non-operator working interest owner in efforts to take oil production in kind from multiple operators, including interpretation and explanation of existing midstream contracts that were assumed by the client.
- Served as in-house counsel for an onshore oil and gas exploration and production company during a major leasehold acquisition of over 5,000 net mineral acres in the Eagle Ford Shale, drafting and negotiating complex leases and confirming title to mineral and leasehold interests.
- Managed emergency title opinion project and was responsible for training and managing 15+ attorneys in the firm's Pittsburgh office.
- Coordinated with clients and field landmen to manage large-scale title review of over 2,500 net mineral acres of acreage held by production as early as the 1920s acquired by client in the Eagle Ford Shale, including assignment and supervision of associate work.
- Represented publically traded oil and gas corporation in renegotiating and renewing $500 million reserve-based lending facility.
Renewable Energy Transactions:
- Represented private equity firm in proposed $300 million securities offering for renewable energy power plants; performed due diligence review of construction, power purchase, interconnection, operation/maintenance, and other agreements.
Real Estate Transactions:
- Represented buyer in a $2,000,000 multi-sport complex real estate transaction.
- Represented buyer in a $14,000,000 ranch acquisition.
- Represented lender in a $90,000,000 resort construction transaction.
- Represented buyer in numerous large-scale convenience store and gas station finance and construction transactions.
- "The Fifth Circuit's Interpretation of the CAN-SPAM Act in White Buffalo v. University of Texas, 38 ST. MARY'S L.J. 553," Spam (Supremacy Clause, Public Forums, and Mailings), 2007.
- On the Rocks:Dealing With Unpooled or Unleased Interests, Burleson LLP Event, July 2014
- Curative Title, San Antonio Association of Professional Landmen, October 2009
- Board Certified in Oil, Gas and Mineral Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization