Our global mining group is internationally recognized as a leading legal practice in the sector, providing tailored advice to prominent players throughout the mining industry. With lawyers based in more than 50 offices worldwide, we are able to assemble a legal team from multiple practice areas who offer a wealth of experience in mining transactions and mining disputes in every major mining region of the world.
“Distinguished team with a deep-rooted Africa practice, routinely acting on renewable, mining and oil and gas projects.” Chambers Global, 2019
We act for a range of major international financial institutions, mining houses and global corporate leaders who value our experience in the sector, and our ability to provide local market knowledge when needed. Our market-leading reputation has enabled us to advise on some of the industry’s largest and most innovative mining transactions and we are particularly well known for our work in leveraged finance deals for mining developments, including complex syndications.
Mining companies and financial institutions also rely on our help to resolve all manner of high-risk, complex and sensitive mining disputes. Our mining lawyers understand the risks and political intricacies inherent in carrying out mining operations , particularly in difficult jurisdictions. Our key areas of strength include international arbitration, regulations and investigations, business ethics and anti-corruption, and transnational litigation, all of which can significantly affect industry stakeholders.
Our areas of work include
- Alternative mining finance, including streaming and royalties
- Capital markets
- Climate change and environmental law
- Commodity finance
- Debt finance
- Deep sea mining
- Dispute resolution and litigation
- Joint ventures
- International arbitration
- Licensing, contracts and consents
- Mining safety and investigations
- Projects and project finance
- Regulations and investigations
Awards and accolades
- Chambers Global, Africa-wide: Projects & Energy: Mining & Minerals (Band 1), Chambers and Partners, 2019
- Chambers Global, South Africa: Energy & Natural Resources: Mining, Chambers and Partners, 2019