Foreign Legal Consultant
Norton Rose Fulbright Hong Kong
Related services and key industries
Marc Waha leads our Asia Antitrust and Competition Team. He is based in the Hong Kong and Tokyo offices.
Marc advises international companies on antitrust regimes in East Asia, and Asian companies on global competition compliance issues, multi-jurisdictional merger filings and international cartel investigations, particularly in Europe and Asia. For more than 20 years he has represented clients active in a wide variety of industrial and services sectors, with a focus on advising Asian companies on global antitrust and competition law matters.
Recent work highlights include:
representing a third party in obtaining the imposition of remedies by Japan's Fair Trade Commission in respect of Google's acquisition of Fitbit (the authority's first ex officio review of a foreign transaction as a "killer acquisition");
securing the end of an investigation by the Hong Kong Competition Commission into a ports terminal joint venture by way of commitments;
assisting the operator of a digital marketplace in respect of an investigation by the Competition and Consumer Commission of Singapore, with the authority deciding not to take action;
securing unconditional clearances across Asia for the merger of the two largest airlines in Hong Kong; and
successfully defending a respondent in the first court case brought by the Hong Kong Competition Commission, with the court dismissing the Commission's case.
Marc is the author of the first edition of the Hong Kong Competition Law Handbook (Butterworths). He and the Norton Rose Fulbright team have been involved in training programmes for Asian competition authorities. Over the years, Marc has been ranked as a leading lawyer, and the Competition Team as a top tier competition practice, in several guides including Chambers & Partners (where Marc featured in the Global Guide for his "high reputation for his merger control clearance work" as well as in the Asia-Pacific Guide, where he has been ranked #1 for competition law in China for several years), Euromoney's Guide to leading lawyers, the Guide to the World's Leading Competition and Antitrust Lawyers, PLC's Which Lawyer?, Asialaw's Leading Lawyers, and The International Who's Who of Competition Lawyers & Economists.
Recent publications and presentations include the following. A full list is available upon request.
- Merger regulation in the tech sector in Asia, panel chair, Global Competition Review's Law Leaders' Asia-Pacific Forum 2021, Singapore (August 2021)
- Merger review process in Asia expected to become increasingly challenging, World Financier, July 2021
- Antitrust in Asia – due process investigations, panel chair, Concurrences' Antitrust in Asia Webinar, Tokyo, Japan (November 2020)
- Competition law compliance programmes, International Bar Association Annual Conference, Seoul, Korea (September 2019)
- No-poach agreements and other labour market concerns, Global Competition Review's Annual Cartels Conference 2019, Washington DC, USA (March 2019)
- Merger control: gun jumping and remedies, panel chair, Global Competition Review's Antitrust Law Leaders' Forum 2019, Singapore (March 2019)
- Approaching leniency procedures in the EU, Prepared remarks before the 7th Annual Competition Law and Regulatory Global Forum, Hong Kong (July 2018)
- Competition law and policy in the internet economy, panel chair, Global Competition Review's Antitrust Law Leaders' Forum 2018, Singapore (March 2018)
- Diversity of merger control in Asia, Prepared remarks before the Association des Praticiens du Droit de la Concurrence, Paris, France (September 2017)
- Japanese companies selling abroad: common competition law issues, Prepared remarks before the 4th Annual Competition Law Summit, Tokyo, Japan (September 2017)
- Hong Kong merger control, in The Merger Control Review (LBR, August 2017) [co-authored with Pearl Yeung and Sophie Chen]
- Competition law and telecommunications: key regulatory challenges, discussant, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong (March 2017)
- Technological change and market definition in the decisional practice of Asian competition authorities, Prepared remarks before the 12th Asia Competition Forum Conference, Hong Kong, China (December 2016)
- The Competition Ordinance and the Insurance Industry: what can be learned from the application for a block exemption by the shipping industry, panel chair, Hong Kong Insurance Law Association, Hong Kong (October 2016)
- Competition law in the air transport industry: Hong Kong and greater China, IATA Legal Forum, Hong Kong (October 2016) [jointly with Pearl Yeung]
- Hong Kong merger control, in The Merger Control Review (LBR, August 2016) [co-authored with Pearl Yeung and Sophie Chen]
- China Annual Global Competition Law Forum, conference chair, Kluwer annual conference, Shanghai (July 2016)
Publication | August 01, 2022
Webinar | June 28, 2022
Publication | May 17, 2022
Webinar | September 07, 2022