Related services and key industries
Noel McCoy is a specialist restructuring and insolvency lawyer based in Sydney.
Since 2001, Noel has worked extensively in contentious and non-contentious financial restructuring, reorganisation and insolvency matters. He services financial services and government clients.
A Fellow of INSOL International, Noel has helped lead some of Australia's most significant cross-border restructuring and insolvency engagements, including in conducting the first appellate decision in Australia under the UNCITRAL Model Law on Cross Border Insolvency (Akers as a joint foreign representative of Saad Investments Company Limited (in Official Liquidation) v Deputy Commissioner of Taxation (2014) 311 ALR 167). Noel acts for the foreign liquidators of Centaur Litigation in conducting Australian and cross border investigations and claims. He also has extensive experience in international judgment enforcement and offshore asset recovery.
Noel currently advises a variety of Commonwealth and NSW government agencies on their financial commitments and exposures. He has advised and represented the Commonwealth Department of Jobs and Small Business (FEG Recovery Program), the Department of Industry, the Department of Environment, the NSW Department of Family and Community Services, and Department of Planning & Environment where restructuring and insolvency issues have arisen in their service delivery and policy administration functions. Noel has worked inside government as a senior legal policy adviser to the NSW Attorney General and as an adviser to the Federal Communications Minister.
- INSOL International, Global Insolvency Practice Course (Hons.) (Fellowship course), 2018
- University of Southern Queensland, Diploma of Advanced Insolvency Law (ARITA Advanced Certification), 2005
- University of Techonolgy, Sydney, Bachelor of Business (Major in Finance), Bachelor of Laws (Hons.), 2000
- High Court of Australia 2002
- Supreme Court of New South Wales 2001
- Understanding the 'Better Outcome Test' in s588GA of the Corporations Act, Australian Restructuring Insolvency & Turnaround Association Journal, September 2019
- The Singularis Work-around? Overcoming Limitations to the Common Law Power of Assistance for Foreign Insolvency Investigations, International Corporate Rescue, Volume 16, Issue 4, 2019
- Will Singapore become an international centre of debt restructuring? A comparative analysis of Singapore's bold insolvency reforms, INSOL International Special Report, November 2018
- Tracing Assets in Asia Pacific: A Comparative Analysis of the Availability of Norwich Pharmacal Orders in Australia, Hong Kong and Singapore, International Corporate Rescue, Vol 15, Issue 3, 2018
- In Defence of Restructuring, Insolvency and Turnaround Professionals, Australian Restructuring Insolvency & Turnaround Association Journal, September 2017
- Australian Insolvency Law Reforms: Innovation and Rehabilitation, International Corporate Rescue, Vol 14, Issue 5, 2017
- Piercing Legal Professional Privilege to Access Documents Created to Defeat Claims of Creditors, Insolvency Law Journal, Volume 25, Part 3, 2017
- First Appellate Decision in Australia on UNCITRAL Model Law on Cross-Border Insolvency: A Warning to Foreign Investors and Liquidators, International Corporate Rescue, Volume 11, Issue 5, 2014
- Receiver's Duties in disposing of assets: s420A of the Corporations Act, Insolvency Law Bulletin, Volume 7, Issues 1 & 2 (August & September), 2006
- Cross Border Insolvency, guest Lectures for Sydney University post-graduate and undergraduate Insolvency Law courses (2016, 2017).
- Insolvency and restructuring law reform in Spain, Webinar for Sydney University with Professor Jason Harris and Dr Zofia Bednarz.
- Reforms to prevent misuse of the FEG scheme, Australian Restructuring Insolvency &Turnaround Association Sydney Forum (2019).
- Fellow of INSOL International
- Member of Australian Restructuring Insolvency and Turnaround Association
Publication | February 24, 2021
Publication | December 09, 2020
Publication | September 24, 2020
Webinar | September 17, 2020