Partner and Head of Office
Norton Rose Fulbright Australia
Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Stephen Natoli is a construction and infrastructure partner based in Melbourne.
Stephen has over 18 years' experience in infrastructure and construction law, with particular experience in energy and resources projects, major infrastructure projects, PPPs, healthcare, residential and commercial development. As well as dispute management representation on domestic and international projects.
Professional experienceExpand all Collapse all
- Bachelor of Law (Hons) Monash University (2002)
- Bachelor of Science, Melbourne University (1999)
- Frankston Hospital Redevelopment PPP - advising on all aspect of Honeywell Australia Pty Ltd's tender as part of the Capella led consortium (successful) for the Frankston Hospital PPP.
- New Footscray Hospital PPP - advising on all aspect of Honeywell Australia Pty Ltd's tender as part of the Plenary Health consortium (successful) for the New Footscray Hospital PPP.
- Public Housing Renewal Project PPP - advising on all aspect of Icon Si (Aust) Pty Ltd tender as part of Tetris' building communities (successful) for the Public Housing Renewal Project PPP.
- Metropolitan Waste and Resource Recovery Group - advising the Victorian waste statutory authority, Metropolitan Waste and Resource Recovery Group, in relation to the procurement of Victoria's first waste to energy facility.
- European processing plant projects - advising a leading multinational company on the development of a large range of processing plant projects throughout Europe, including numerous combined heat and power plants.
- Tamar Valley gas-fired power plant - advising project sponsors in relation to the expansion of the Tamar Valley gas-fired power plant.
- Fishermens Bend precinct - advising the State of Victoria in relation to the sale, redevelopment and activation of the Fishermens Bend precinct, including the development of the University of Melbourne's new school of engineering.
- Central Pier and Southbank Boulevard - advising Development Victoria in relation to the potential redevelopment of Central Pier and Southbank Boulevard.
- Department of Health and Human Services - in relation to the delivery of various social housing projects.
- Panama Canal Authority - in relation to all aspects of the procurement and construction of the US$5.2b expansion project, including advising on the proposed tender and procurement process, construction contracts, and disputes during the delivery phase.
- M5 Toll Road - advising financiers in relation to the widening and refinancing of the M5 toll road in New South Wales.
- Lane Cove Tunnel project - advising financiers in relation to the O&M contracts for Lane Cove Tunnel project.
- Sydney International Convention, Exhibition and Entertainment Centre PPP - advising a consortium on all aspects of its bid for Sydney International Convention, Exhibition and Entertainment Centre PPP.
- Sunshine Coast University Hospital PPP - advising a consortium on its bid for the Sunshine Coast University Hospital PPP.
- Greenough River solar project - advising the EPC and O&M contractor in relation to its successful tender for Australia's first utility scale 10MW PV solar project in Greenough River, WA.
Solar and Wind
- Solar farm – advising Risen in the engineering, construction, procurement operation and maintenance of a significant number of windfarms throughout Australia including Quron Park, Walla Walla, Girgaree and Endevale Solar Farms.
- Wind farms - advising Vestas and Senvion in relation to the engineering, construction, procurement, operation and maintenance of a significant number of windfarms throughout Australia and Japan, including the Murra Warra wind farm, Tsetii Wind Farm, PWEP4, Taralga wind farm, Phu Quy wind farm, Bald Hills wind farm, Mt Mercer wind farm, Hallet wind farm, Cathedral Rocks wind farm, and Bangui Bay wind farm.
- First Solar - advising First Solar in relation to the construction of the Greenough River Solar Farm, being Australia's first utility scale solar project.
- Senvion GmbH – advising Senvion GmbH in relation to the construction aspects arising from Federal Court proceedings regarding the application of the Cross-Border Insolvency Act 2008. Senvion GmbH sought to apply the insolvency provision of the General Civil Code in relation to its construction of multiple windfarms throughout Victoria, New South Wales and Queensland.
- Goldwind Australia – advising Goldwind Australia in relation to multiple disputes regarding delay, disruption, acceleration and variation claims by the balance of plant contractor in respect of the Stockyard Hill Wind Farm. This included successfully defending a c.$17 million security of payment claim, and expert determination.
- Senvion Australia – advising Senvion Australia in relation to a successful c. $12 million security of payment claim regarding variations to scope of works in respect of the Bald Hills Wind Farm.
- Burkina Faso Gold Mine - advising the project sponsor on construction aspects of the project financing of a US$65 million gold mine in Burkina Faso, including the termination of the EPCM contractor in connection with the construction and development of the project.
- Mining projects - advising the project sponsor for a copper and gold mine in South Australia, a nickel mine project in Turkey and for the financiers of a gold, copper, zinc and silver deposit in Eritrea.
- Brazilian semisubmersible drilling vessel - advising Inter-American Development Bank on the USD $500 million financing of a semisubmersible drilling vessel to be operated under charter in Brazil.