Norton Rose Fulbright Australia
Related services and key industries
Jiadi Liang is an experienced litigation, public law and regulatory lawyer based in Canberra. She has joined the firm to establish and grow the Canberra-based government capability.
Jiadi has extensive experience working with Government entities and regularly advises Commonwealth departments and agencies on regulatory and enforcement issues, administrative law, statutory interpretation, and privacy and information law matters.
She is also an experienced disputes lawyer and has acted for Government and commercial clients in litigated proceedings. She has appeared as a solicitor advocate on behalf of Government and commercial clients in Australian courts and tribunals, including in relation to disputes involving Government decision making, and has managed complex civil and commercial litigation on behalf of her clients. She has also assisted Government entities in inquests and Royal Commissions.
Jiadi has worked closely with Government entities throughout her career, including undertaking a number of secondments to departments and agencies. As a result, Jiadi has a deep understanding of the Commonwealth legal framework, and the consultative and transparent approach necessary to achieve outcomes. This deep understanding informs her pragmatic, timely and outcomes focussed approach to advising and representing Commonwealth clients.
- Representing Government entities, often as a solicitor advocate, in relation to disputes concerning Government decision making.
- Representing and managing civil proceedings on behalf of Government entities, including matters in relation to public liability and medical negligence. She has also represented Government entities in inquests and claims for compensation made under various statutory schemes.
- Acting and appearing as a solicitor advocate in relation to debt recovery and winding up proceedings in ACT Supreme Court and the ACT Magistrates Court.
- Advising and acting on behalf of Government and private clients in relation to commercial, contractual, planning and building disputes.
- Providing statutory interpretation advices in relation to legislation administered by various Government departments and agencies and undertaking review of legislative schemes.
- Advising Government entities in relation to the exercise of statutory powers and decision making.
- Providing privacy advice including advising on data breaches, obligations under the Privacy Act 1988, and the operation of secrecy provisions and compulsory information gathering powers in Commonwealth statutes.
- Advising on the Freedom of Information Act 1982 including acting for a Government entity in relation to an application for review of an FOI decision in the Administrative Appeals Tribunal.
- Providing advice to multiple Commonwealth regulators in relation to the exercise of compliance and enforcement powers and the taking of urgent compliance action, including advice on the appropriateness of the range of sanctions.
- Acted for Commonwealth Regulators in relation to compliance proceedings, including a Commonwealth Department in defending sanctions decisions made against providers under A New Tax System (Family Assistance) (Administration) Act 1999.