Related services and key industries
Brett McKean is an IP attorney in the Austin office whose practice focuses primarily on intellectual property litigation, including patent infringement claims, unfair competition and trade secret matters. His patent litigation experience includes handling discovery, invalidity contentions, infringement contentions, drafting motions and briefs, and working with experts involving a broad range of technologies in the telecommunications and energy industries, including downlink telemetry systems, fiber optic sensing networks and downhole tools.
Brett also has significant experience assisting companies in intellectual property transactions and licensing negotiations, including handling all aspects of IP due diligence. He has assisted clients in providing formal opinions concerning potential infringement, validity, and enforceability of client and third party intellectual property, including studying potential issues raised by new product launches.
Brett has represented a wide variety of clients ranging from large multinational corporations to companies with fewer than 20 employees in the Southern District of Texas, the Eastern District of Texas, and the Eastern District of Virginia.
JD, South Texas College of Law, 2007
BS, Electrical Engineering, The University of Texas - Austin, 2003
Brett is admitted to practice law in the State of Texas, the United States District Courts for the Southern, Western, and Eastern Districts of Texas, and is also admitted to practice in the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
- Texas State Bar
- Defended large telecommunications company in patent litigation in federal district court involving patents relating to mesh-network technology
- Defended large telecommunications company in patent litigation in federal district court involving patents relating to network communication protocols
- Defended large oilfield services company in federal district court in trade secret misappropriation claim against former employee
- Defended large oilfield services company in patent litigation in federal district court involving patents relating to oil well fracturing technology
- Defended oilfield services company in patent litigation in federal district court involving patents relating advanced drilling technology
- Advised oil field service companies regarding patent infringement and product clearance issues
- Advised international chemicals company on intellectual property issues, including conducting due diligence, relating to multiple acquisitions, asset purchases, and joint ventures
- Advised international chemicals company in a complex trade secrets dispute involving a method for manufacturing polyethylene
"Intellectual Property Issues in Oilfield Services," Institute for Energy Law, 64th Annual Oil and Gas Law Conference, January 2013
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Texas
- Austin Bar Association
- Member, Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE)