Laura Kiwelu is a projects lawyer based in London.
She focuses on advising developers, lenders, governments and investors on power and infrastructure projects in Africa.
Laura has advised on several first-of-a-kind and other landmark projects in Africa, and from 2014 to 2018 was based in Tanzania.
- Solicitor, qualified in England & Wales
- A major gold mining company - on power supply arrangements with a captive solar PV and battery storage project in Burkina Faso.
- JCM Power - on all aspects of its 60MW solar PV and 20MW solar PV and battery storage projects in Malawi, including on extensive negotiations with the government and offtaker, political risk insurance and power purchase agreement credit support with African Trade Insurance Agency, and on financing arrangements.
- Alten Renewable Energy - on all aspects of a 40MW solar PV project in Kenya, including on project document negotiations and financing arrangements.
- A conservation, renewables and off-grid start-up on establishment documentation and contracting arrangements.
- The developer consortium - in respect of two 10MW and 15MW first-in-country solar PV projects in Cameroon, including in respect of PPA and government support negotiations with Eneo and the Government of Cameroon.
- KETRACO, through the Power Africa program - on a pilot transmission project to be developed in Kenya on a PPP basis by Africa50.
- A multilateral institution and a sovereign wealth fund - on the establishment of the platform for distributed and captive renewable power projects in Nigeria, including on regulatory and structuring aspects.
- The Botswana Power Corporation - on the project documents for its competitive grid-tied and 100MW solar PV project tenders, including on the PPA and connection agreement and advising on regulatory and procurement issues.
- East African government corporations - on risk allocation and structuring of geothermal power projects through USAID and AfDB supported programs.
- A major European developer - on the development of a 50MW solar PV project in Zimbabwe, including on negotiations with ZETDC.
- A major mining company - on its power supply arrangements for a mine in DRC on a cross border basis with power being wheeled through Zambia.
- The lenders - on the bankability aspects of a concession in Chad relating to an electricity distribution network and distributed generation supplying several municipalities.
- Gigawatt Global - on all aspects of an 8.5MW solar PV project in Rwanda, including negotiation of a PPA, concession agreement and on finance documents. This was the first solar PV project to reach financial close in East Africa.
- Virunga Power - on various aspects of a 4.5MW hydropower and mini-grid project in Tanzania financed by public risk capital from InfraCo Africa.
- The lenders - on a solar PV and battery storage micro-grid system in the Comoros Islands which is being developed by Engie EPS, including drafting and negotiating the concession agreement and PPA, advising on structuring and regulatory issues, and advising on the financing aspects.
- The Zimbabwe Power Company - on the expansion of the 1,050 MW Kariba South hydropower project.
Publication | June 28, 2021
Publication | September 29, 2020
Global: The RMIPPPP – a key landmark for renewables and storage hybrid projects in sub-Saharan Africa?
Publication | September 28, 2020
Publication | September 15, 2020