Mayling C. Blanco
Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Mayling C. BlancovCard
Related services and key industries
- White-collar crime
- Litigation and disputes
- Antitrust and competition
- Regulation and investigations
Key industry sectors
Mayling C. Blanco represents corporations and individuals in white collar defense, government investigations, and commercial litigation matters, notably concentrating her practice on the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act ("FCPA") and corporate fraud, as well as matters implicating criminal tax exposure.
Mayling has led numerous domestic and international, multi-jurisdictional investigations for clients with ventures in Latin America, Asia and Europe, including on bribery, kickbacks, money laundering, false claims and tax crimes. She has represented her clients before the U.S. Department of Justice's Criminal, Civil and Tax Divisions as well as before the U.S. Federal Courts, U.S. Tax Court and the state courts of New Jersey and New York on these issues.
Mayling regularly advises corporations and financial institutions, in connection with anti-bribery and anti-money laundering compliance matters, particularly in relation to creating or optimizing compliance programs to mitigate civil regulatory and criminal exposure. Mayling's experiences in handling high profile matters for multi-national organizations allows her to provide real world practical advice to assist companies in efficiently responding to risks as they arise and minimizing disruption to their business operations.
Mayling is a committee member for the Cyrus R. Vance Center for International Justice of the New York City Bar. She serves as a regional deputy for the Hispanic National Bar. Is an Alumni Council member for Seton Hall Law School and an Leadership Council on Legal Diversity Fellow. She currently serves as a board member for a charter school in the South Bronx.
Mayling previously served as a law clerk to the Honorable Mathias E. Rodriguez of the New Jersey Superior Court. Prior to law school, Mayling proudly served in the Teach for America program.
Professional experienceExpand all Collapse all
JD, Seton Hall University School of Law
BA, Cornell University
Mayling is admitted to practice in New Jersey, New York and the US Tax Court.
- New Jersey State Bar
- New York State Bar
- Represented a company in the aerospace industry in an FCPA with ongoing assistance in compliance with the terms of the non-prosecution agreement and before the DOJ.
- Represented a South American sports broadcasting and marketing company in FIFA investigation.
- Represented a domestic technology government contractor in a criminal investigation for securing counterfeit parts in violation of federal and state laws, including false claims and the Buy American Act; case resolved with only a civil fine.
- Represented a senior level employee of a technology company related to bribery criminal indictment brought against other company officers.
- Represented a European based credit card processing company in gaming investigation; no charges were brought pursuant to the investigation.
- Represented a national nonprofit agency subject to a multifaceted investigation for undue influence and conflicts of interest; the matter resulted in a declination and no action by various federal bodies.
- Represented senior employee of an asphalt company in an FCPA investigation related to Lava Jato; secured immunity for client.
- Represented an international shipping company in an internal investigation related to Lava Jato.
- Represented a European oil and gas company in a bribery internal investigation in Mexico.
- Represented a multi-national car parts manufacturing company in a multi-faceted bribery, kickbacks, and fraud internal investigation in Mexico.
- Represented the owner of South American company in bank fraud, money laundering and criminal tax investigation.
- Designed and implemented comprehensive anti-bribery, anti-money laundering, anti-proliferation of weapons of mass destruction compliance program in line with international standards for a special purpose vehicle of a Asian construction company operating in South America.
- Developed compliance policies and training programs for various international companies., including reviewing contracts with agents, distributors, and other third parties to ensure they include provisions that require adherence to applicable anti-corruption standards and provide clients with ability to monitor compliance.
- Developed an anti-bribery compliance program for a non-profit healthcare organization with global operations.
- Developed an anti-bribery compliance program and provided training for a major league sport team with international operations.
- Represented the owner of pharmacy in federal criminal tax indictment.
- Represented a small business owner in a state criminal tax indictment.
- Represented an officer in a company investigated for a tax fraud scheme.
- Represented an individual in Tax Court matter involving expropriation of assets by government in Iran.
- Representing clients entering the Offshore Voluntary Disclosure Program ("OVDP") with the IRS.
- Legal 500 US, Recommended Lawyer, US Taxes: Contentious, The Legal 500, 2020 – 2022 (conferred by Legalease Ltd.)
- New York Metro Rising Star, White Collar Crime, Super Lawyers, 2010 – 2013; 2015 – 2018 (conferred by Thomson Reuters)
Learn more about the descriptions of the selection methodologies for rankings and recognitions. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
- Co-author, "DOJ's Latest Attempt To Tame the Crypto-Creature: NCET," New York Law Journal, December 6, 2021
- Co-author, "How Cos. Can Respond To Growing Crypto Tax Enforcement," Law360, October 5, 2020
- Co-author, "Global Tax Enforcement Is Coming For Crypto Exchanges," Law360, March 19, 2020
- "U.S. Solicits Public Feedback on Anti-Money-Laundering Rules for Antiquities Dealers," The Wall Street Journal, September 23, 2021
- Speaker, "Pulling back the curtain on Corporate Monitorships," Hispanic National Bar Association, November 16, 2021
- Speaker, "FEI Chicago Virtual Session 'Tax Issues in an Uncertain Environment' Panel Discussion," Financial Executives, October 27, 2021
- Speaker, "Lasting Litigations Trends of COVID-19," Hispanic National Bar Association, September 28, 2021
- Speaker, "Cryptocurrency Global Tax Enforcement: What Investors and Companies in the Industry Need to Know NOW," June 28, 2021
- Speaker, "Anti-bribery and corruption (ABC) compliance: Global webinar series," Norton Rose Fulbright Webinar, May 27, 2021
- Speaker, "Corporate Compliance Updates From DOJ," Webinar, ProLaw CLE, December 1, 2020
- Law360 Editorial Board, 2021
- Seton Hall Alumni Council
- Hispanic National Bar Association
- New Jersey Hispanic Bar Association
- Women in the Legal Profession: White Collar Crime Subcommittee, New York City Bar
First NFT “insider trading” trial ends in criminal conviction based on novel theory
Publication | May 09, 2023
US DOJ Criminal Division announces revisions to Corporate Enforcement Policy
Publication | January 23, 2023
Crypto regulatory investigations and enforcement: Key developments and practical steps for clients
Blog | October 17, 2022