Mayling C. Blanco
Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Mayling C. BlancovCard
Related services and key industries
- White-collar crime
- Litigation and disputes
- Antitrust and competition
- Regulation and investigations
Mayling C. Blanco represents corporations and individuals in white collar defense, government investigations, and commercial litigation matters, notably concentrating her practice on the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act ("FCPA") and corporate fraud, as well as matters implicating criminal tax exposure.
Mayling has conducted numerous domestic and international, multi-jurisdictional investigations for clients with ventures in Latin America, Asia, and Europe, and has represented her clients before the U.S. Department of Justice's Criminal, Civil, and Tax Divisions. She regularly advises clients with respect to the development of anti-bribery plans and policies, audit findings, investigating potential violations, and anti-bribery inquiries arising from everyday business dealings. She also represents clients facing government investigation or seeking to conduct internal investigations.
Mayling also advises corporations and financial institutions, including their boards of directors and committees, in connection with corporate governance and compliance matters, particularly as they relate to internal investigations and mitigating civil regulatory and criminal exposure. She has significant experience assisting companies in efficiently responding to subpoenas, thereby minimizing any disruption to their business operations.
In litigation, Mayling has significant experience before various Federal District Courts, U.S. Tax Court, the Superior Court of New Jersey, the New Jersey Appellate Division, and the New Jersey Supreme Court, defending clients in white collar, tax, commercial, employment, and constitutional matters.
Prior to joining her previous firm, Mayling served under the Honorable Mathias E. Rodriguez of the New Jersey Superior Court. During law school, she was a member of the Legislative Bureau Journal, a student fellow for the Immigration and Human Rights Clinic, and held executive positions with student organizations. Additionally, prior to going to law school, Mayling proudly served in the Teach for America program. She currently serves as a board member for a charter school in the South Bronx.
JD, Seton Hall University School of Law
BA, Cornell University
Mayling is admitted to practice in New Jersey, New York and the US Tax Court.
- New Jersey State Bar
- New York State Bar
- Represented companies before the DOJ and State Attorneys General's Offices. Representation included conducting internal investigations, implementing remedial measures, and negotiating resolutions.
- Representing a South American sports broadcasting and marketing company in FIFA investigation.
- Representing a European based credit card processing company in gaming investigation.
- Representing the owner of South American company in bank fraud, money laundering and criminal tax investigation.
- Representing the owner of pharmacy in criminal tax investigation.
- Representing an individual in Tax Court matter involving expropriation of assets by government in Iran.
- Represented a company in the aerospace industry in an FCPA matter that resulted in a non-prosecution agreement, no compliance monitor and a substantial reduction in the amount of the potential fine. The representation includes ongoing assistance in compliance with the terms of the non-prosecution agreement.
- Represented several companies in responding to federal and state grand jury subpoenas.
- Designed and implemented comprehensive FCPA compliance programs to prevent and detect potential anti-corruption risks for numerous companies, including (1) developing compliance policies and training programs, and (2) drafting and reviewing contracts with agents, distributors, and other third parties to ensure they include provisions that require adherence to applicable anti-corruption standards and provide clients with ability to monitor compliance.
- Represented a public entity and key elected official in a matter involving Free Speech and social media. Secured a dismissal for key defendants at the inception of the case.
- Representing a company in the aerospace industry in an FCPA with ongoing assistance in compliance with the terms of the non-prosecution agreement and before the DOJ.
- Represented a national nonprofit agency under investigation for undue influence and conflicts of interest.
- Representing clients entering the Offshore Voluntary Disclosure Program ("OVDP") with the IRS.
- Legal 500 US, Recommended Lawyer, US Taxes: Contentious, The Legal 500, 2020 – 2021
- New York Metro Rising Star, White Collar Crime, Thomson Reuters, 2010 – 2013; 2015 – 2018
- Co-author, "How Cos. Can Respond To Growing Crypto Tax Enforcement," Law360, October 5, 2020
- Co-author, "Global Tax Enforcement Is Coming For Crypto Exchanges," Law360, March 19, 2020
- Co-author, "Statistical Proof in FLSA Classes: Supreme Court Allows Representative Evidence, Employee Benefit Plan Review, July 2016
- "Midwestern Companies Comfortable Saying 'See You in Court'," Minnesota Lawyer, December 2011
- "U.S. Solicits Public Feedback on Anti-Money-Laundering Rules for Antiquities Dealers," The Wall Street Journal, September 23, 2021
- Speaker, "Corporate Criminal Liability – can we learn from international approaches?," July 1, 2021
- Speaker, "Cryptocurrency Global Tax Enforcement: What Investors and Companies in the Industry Need to Know NOW," June 28, 2021
- Speaker, "Anti-bribery and corruption (ABC) compliance: Global webinar series," Norton Rose Fulbright Webinar, May 27, 2021
- Speaker, "Corporate Compliance Updates From DOJ," Webinar, ProLaw CLE, December 1, 2020
- Law360 Editorial Board, 2021
- Seton Hall Alumni Council
- Hispanic National Bar Association
- New Jersey Hispanic Bar Association
- Women in the Legal Profession: White Collar Crime Subcommittee, New York City Bar
June 28, 2021
February 14, 2020
December 11, 2019
Webinar | September 01, 2021
Publication | July 30, 2021
Webinar | June 10, 2021
Publication | May 25, 2021