Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Luke Maher advises public and private clients on a wide array of construction and development projects, including healthcare facilities, manufacturing plants, energy and power plant facilities, telecommunications structures, condominium and multifamily residential housing developments, hotels, entertainment complexes, and shopping centers. Luke has been recognized by Super Lawyers as a "Rising Star" in Construction Law.
Luke regularly represents project stakeholders in the negotiation and drafting of development, construction, design, engineering, and related agreements. He also advises clients during the course of projects on contract enforcement, legal compliance, preservation of claims and defenses, and preparing for impending disputes. In addition, Luke has significant experience with the prosecution and defense of construction-related issues, including design and construction defects, project delays, mechanic's liens, breach of contract, architectural and engineering design errors and omissions, and performance and payment bonds.
In addition to his construction practice, Luke represents clients in commercial disputes related to breach of contract, negligence, and statutory claims. Luke has litigated in state and federal courts at both the trial and appellate levels and has substantial experience in the arbitration and mediation of disputes via the American Arbitration Association and other alternative dispute resolution forums. He is admitted to practice in Missouri, Illinois, the U.S. District Courts for the Eastern District of Missouri, Western District of Missouri, Southern District of Illinois, Eastern District of Arkansas, and District of Kansas.
JD, Saint Louis University School of Law, 2009
BA, Management Information Systems, University of Notre Dame, 2006
While in law school, Luke was an editor of the Saint Louis University Law Journal, Student Body President of the Student Bar Association and member of Alpha Sigma Nu Honor Society. He also earned the ALI-ABA Scholarship and Leadership Award, Academic Excellence Award and Dean's Scholar recognitions.
- Illinois State Bar
- Missouri State Bar
Luke's recent disputes experience includes:
- Represented one of the largest nonprofit health care organizations in the United States in the investigation, remediation and subsequent litigation of claims resulting from defective conditions and associated project delays.
- Represented owners of commercial warehouse facilities in investigation of defective concrete floors and recovery of damages resulting from same.
- Represented owner of multi-family housing development in pursuit of damages for defective construction.
- Represented owner of luxury high-rise tower in pursuit of damages due to delayed and defective construction.
- Represented major telecommunications company in several lawsuits and in response to multiple claims, including breaches of construction contracts, trespass, condemnation, and personal injury.
- Defended national auto lender from several lawsuits and claims, including claims related to Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, Fair Credit Reporting Act, Telephone Consumer Protection Act, conspiracy, and negligent misrepresentation.
- Defended developer of wood frame multi-family housing development in personal injury claim resulting from alleged construction defects.
- Defended international trust investment company against investment suitability and trust mismanagement claims.
- Defended national investment banking company against mechanic's lien claims filed by general contractor and subcontractors.
- Defended seller of multi-family housing development from latent construction defect, product liability and unsafe condition claims.
- Conducted immediate response investigation of catastrophic injury claims allegedly resulting from unsafe premises and construction defects.
- Represented general contractor of multi-family housing development in claims that as-built conditions failed to comply with approved plans and specifications and code.
- Advised nonprofit healthcare organization with negotiation of design/build agreement for new hospital tower, and assisted organization with reviewing and updating best practices for assessing and documenting project claims.
- Represented major multi-family housing developer in numerous negotiations with architects, general contractors, and consultants.
- Represented plasma-derived therapeutics company in preparation and negotiation of design and construction contracts for new production facility.
- Represented major municipal utility company during negotiation of engineering, procurement and construction contract.
- Represented multiple renewable energy developers and fund management companies in the development and negotiation of engineering, procurement and construction contracts and ancillary agreements for the development of solar, wind, and hydrogen facilities.
- Represented multinational automotive manufacturer in development and negotiation of design, construction, and consultant agreements for facility and research & development projects.
- Represented one of the largest nonprofit health care organizations in the United States in development and negotiation of design-build agreement.
- Represented distributor of electronic components and electromechanical products in negotiation of design-build and guaranteed maximum price contracts for expansion facility.
- Represented international dining and entertainment developer in negotiations with contractors, architects, and suppliers on multiple projects.
- Represented general contractor of multi-family housing development in negotiations with architect and subcontractors.
- Rising Star, Construction Law, Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2020 – 2022
- Best Lawyers - Construction Law, Best Lawyers, 2022 – 2023
- "Top 9 Construction Contract Provisions That Lead to Disputes" National Business Institute Seminar, February 10, 2021.
- "Construction Law From Start to Finish," National Business Institute Seminar, June 11, 2020.
- "Drafting Construction Contracts to Prevent Future Disputes," National Business Institute Seminar, May 28, 2020.
- "Construction Contracts: Top Mistakes to Avoid in Drafting and Negotiations" National Business Institute Seminar, September 11, 2019
- "Construction Law Boot Camp," National Business Institute Seminar, June 24, 2019.
- "Triaging the Construction Contract: Key considerations a real estate professional should know when reviewing a construction contract," Norton Rose Fulbright Webinar, May 16, 2018.
- "Becoming a Construction Lifeguard: Spotting and Rescuing the Troubled Construction Project," International Council of Shopping Centers Law Conference 2017, October 28, 2017.
- "Construction Law: Advanced Issues and Answers," National Business Institute Seminar, April 13, 2017.
- "Using Project Management Firms Effectively," International Council of Shopping Centers Law Conference 2016, October 29, 2016.
- "Public Contracts and Procurement," National Business Institute Seminar on Government Law, May 19, 2015.
- Luke was named a member of the FOCUS St. Louis Emerging Leaders Program in 2013.
- Luke volunteers his time to initiatives aimed at raising funding and awareness for the Siteman Cancer Center, including serving on the planning committee for the annual CUREiosity event, and participating in Pedal the Cause.
- Luke serves on the board for Playmakers, supporting United Services for Children, a nonprofit organization providing pediatric therapy and early intervention services for young children of all abilities.
Webinar | February 02, 2023
Webinar | April 28, 2022
Publication | 2022