Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Related services and key industries
Kate Ergenbright is a disputes lawyer in the Houston office. Her practice focuses on commercial litigation and arbitration. Since joining the firm, she has represented clients in pre-suit disputes, state and federal court litigation, and various alternative dispute resolution forums. Kate's practice encompasses a wide range of matters involving contract, business tort, and professional liability law. Her clients include individuals, municipalities, and entities from the energy, financial, insurance, and construction industries.
Prior to joining the firm, Kate completed a one-year federal clerkship with the Honorable Edward C. Prado of the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit. Kate currently serves on the Houston office's Hiring Committee.
JD, with high honors, University of Texas School of Law, 2015
BA, with highest honors, The University of Texas at Austin, 2012
While in law school, Kate was Editor in Chief of Volume 93 of the Texas Law Review and was selected as a member of the 2015 Chancellor's Honor Society and the Order of the Coif. She also served as a Teaching Quizmaster for the Legal Research & Writing Program and participated in the Supreme Court and Actual Innocence Clinic.
- Texas State Bar
- First-chaired AAA commercial dispute for midstream company and obtained arbitration award awarding our client damages following a one-day hearing.
- Represented 20 minority members of a limited liability company in a dispute in Delaware Chancery Court against the limited liability company, its controlling members, and the chairman of the board of managers.
- Represented major energy company in arbitration under CPR Non-Administered Arbitration Rules arising from the purchase and sale of a gasification technology and related assets.
- Represented midstream company in AAA arbitration involving breach of contract arising out of a crude oil buy-sell agreement.
- Represented major energy trading company in breach of contract dispute filed in Houston, Texas.
- Represented power generation facility in breach of contract case against power utility company regarding disruption of service.
- Obtained ruling in favor of the City of Houston in a dispute against the City of Houston, the Mayor of Houston, and Houston City Council members over the constitutionality of "Proposition B."
- Won dismissal of a lawsuit filed by an individual taxpayer against the City of Houston and the Mayor of Houston contesting the November 2017 pension obligation bond election and the issuance of approximately $1 billion in pension obligation bonds.
- Defeated petition for review in the Supreme Court of Texas appealing the denial of a motion to vacate an arbitration award following full merits briefing.
- Represented major insurance company against various claims, including breach of contract, fraudulent inducement, and bad faith related to an alleged failure to pay for the insured's business interruption loss.
- Represented life insurance agent against Texas Insurance Code violation and fraud claims filed in Ward County, Texas.
- Represented life insurance agent against breach of fiduciary duty and fraud claims in a lawsuit filed in El Paso, Texas.
- State Bar of Texas
- Houston Young Lawyers Association