Andrew A. Giaccia
Vice Chair, United States
Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Andrew A. GiacciavCard
Related services and key industries
Andrew Giaccia, Vice Chair of Norton Rose Fulbright’s US Management Committee, has concentrated on the practice of environmental law for more than 25 years.
He spends substantial time on Federal Clean Air Act, Superfund, Endangered Species Act, Resource Conservation and Recovery Act, Clean Water Act and other environmental matters, including the environmental laws affecting the financing and construction of power generation and infrastructure projects and the purchase and sale of commercial enterprises. He works on transactional environmental issues, permitting matters and environmental arbitrations and litigation in federal and state courts and before administrative agencies. Mr. Giaccia also counsels clients on the remediation, rehabilitation and redevelopment of environmentally impaired properties.
Mr. Giaccia has considerable working knowledge of foreign and international environmental requirements, as well as the environmental standards and procedures of multilateral lending institutions.
Mr. Giaccia is immediate past Managing Partner of Chadbourne & Parke and previously served as that firm’s Executive Partner and as Managing Partner of Washington, DC office.
JD, Georgetown University Law Center, 1984
BA, magna cum laude, Georgetown University, 1981
- District of Columbia Bar
- Management and identification of environmental regulatory and permitting issues in more than 100 project finance transactions involving power plants, pipelines and numerous other forms of infrastructure.
- Environmental due diligence for numerous corporate acquisitions and divestitures, including negotiation of environmental terms and obligations in primary and ancillary agreements.
- Litigation and arbitration of environmental indemnification disputes arising out of mergers and acquisitions.
- Defense of governmental enforcement actions asserting violations of environmental law at both the federal and state level.
- Litigation of Superfund and other types of environmental remediation claims.
- Counseling manufacturing companies and other commercial entities on compliance with and developments in environmental laws.
- Negotiating transactions involving the sale or transfer of emissions credits, including greenhouse gas credits and counseling clients with respect to greenhouse gas issues.
- Lawdragon 500 Leading Environmental & Energy Lawyers, Lawdragon, Inc., 2021
- "Environmental Update; federal "tailoring rule" takes effect; PSD Program; BACT emissions limits," Project Finance Newswire, January 2011
- "'Climate Change' Litigation Update -- U.S. Supreme Court Grants Certiorari in Climate Change Lawsuit -- Will Decide Whether Companies May Be Sued for Their Greenhouse Gas Emissions And Resultant Contribution to Global Warming," Client Alert, December 17, 2010
- "Environmental Update; federal government moved closer in August to regulating carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gas emissions by regulation," Project Finance Newswire, September 2010
- "Fourth Circuit Declines To Permit State Suit Alleging TVA’s Power Plants’ Interstate Air Emissions Constitute A Public Nuisance," Client Alert, August 16, 2010
- "Environmental Update; thresholds announced for "prevention of significant deterioration" or PSD program," Project Finance Newswire, July 2010
- "'Climate Change' Litigation Update -- Fifth Circuit Dismisses En Banc Appeal On Procedural Grounds, So District Court Decision Dismissing Claims Related To Climate Change Stands As Good Law," Client Alert, June 11, 2010
- "'Climate Change': Litigation- and Regulatory Update," Client Alert, March 31, 2010
- "Environmental Update; Animal Welfare Institute v. Beech Ridge Energy LLC," Project Finance Newswire, February 2010
- Project Finance NewsWire, February 2010
- "Companies in Hot Seat as Courts Advance Climate Change Claims," Law.com, January 4, 2010
- "Climate Change Lawsuits Advance (Special Update)," Client Alert, December 14, 2009
- "Recent Decisions Permit Claims That Private Companies are Contributing to 'Climate Change'," Client Alert, November 5, 2009
- "Environmental Update; US government has legal authority to regulate greenhouse emissions from new motor vehicles," Project Finance NewsWire, April 2007
- Contributor, "Environmental Update," Project Finance NewsWire, January & April 2007
- "Environmental Update; California Greenhouse Gas Measures," Project Finance NewsWire, November 2006
- "Environmental Update; International Finance Corporation proposes revisions to environmental guidelines," Project Finance NewsWire, September 2006
- Contributor, "Environmental Update," Project Finance NewsWire, September 2006
- "Environmental Update: Fuel Additives; Ethanol Air Permits; Greenhouse Gas; Plant Modifications; Mercury Emissions," Project Finance NewsWire, June 2006
- "Environmental Update," Project Finance NewsWire, March & June 2006
- "Environmental Update; Greenhouse Gases; Power Plant Emissions; Mercury; IFC Guidelines; Mohave Shutdown; Renewables in Gasoline; New Source Review Case," Project Finance NewsWire, March 2006
- "Environmental Enforcement Against Telecom Companies," Client Alert, December 1, 2003
- Co-author, "Projects Lose Acid Rain Protection," Project Finance NewsWire, December 2001
- "Growing Market Expected In Carbon Trades," Project Finance NewsWire, August 2001
- Co-author, "Environmental Update," Project Finance NewsWire, February 2001
- "Promises and Pitfalls of Voluntary Cleanups in New York State," The Metropolitan Corporate Counsel, April 2000
- "Greenhouse Gas Credits to Provide New Source of Financing," Natural Gas, March 2000
- "Cross-Border Transactions and Environmental Law (chapter detailing U.S. environmental laws)," Butterworths, 1999
- Mr. Giaccia has lectured extensively on environmental subjects, including the subject of environmental risk management and emissions credit trading.
- Mr. Giaccia has been a member of the District of Columbia Bar (Environmental, Energy and Natural Resources Section) and the American Bar Association (Natural Resources, Energy and Environmental Law Section