Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Related services and key industries
- Litigation and disputes
- Securities litigation, regulation and enforcement
- Regulation and investigations
- Corporate governance
- Class actions
Todd Batson is a senior counsel in Norton Rose Fulbright's Houston office. His practice focuses on commercial and securities litigation. He also has experience with arbitration, investigations, structured finance litigation, and appeals.
Todd regularly advises clients regarding contractual obligations and fiduciary duties. He has first chair trial experience and has appeared in federal and state courts across the United States (including the Supreme Court of New York State, Commercial Division and Delaware Chancery Court), administrative hearings, and domestic and international arbitrations (AAA, CPR, JAMS and the International Chamber of Commerce). He has experience in all phases of a case, from pre-suit investigations to initial pleadings, trial, and appeal.
Todd clerked for Judge Richard C. Wesley of the US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit.
JD, summa cum laude, Brooklyn Law School, 2009
BBA, Finance, University of Texas at Austin, 2004
BA, Economics, University of Texas at Austin, 2004
- New York State Bar
- Texas State Bar
- Represent client against claims by former investment advisor for tortious interference, defamation, and business disparagement.
- Represented client in American Arbitration Association (AAA) arbitration against claims for breach of contract in connection with patent licenses.
- Represented client in arbitration (International Institute for Conflict Prevention and Resolution (CPR)) against claims for breach of contract, fraudulent inducement, breach of the covenant of good faith and fair dealing, and breach of state franchise laws.
- Represented clients in federal and state court against class action claims for violations of securities laws and breaches of fiduciary duty.
- Represented clients in COVID-19-related insurance coverage disputes.
- Represented client in Delaware Chancery Court against class action claims alleging breach of fiduciary duty in connection with a merger.
- Represented client in Delaware Chancery Court in suit for appraisal and breach of fiduciary duty arising from merger.
- Represented client in International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) arbitration for breach of warranty representation.
- Represented Chapter 11 trust in multiple lawsuits against financial institutions for indemnification due to losses caused by financial institutions' sales of defective mortgage loans. Member of trial team that obtained a $28.7 million jury verdict.
- Represented two asset management firms and dozens of other investors asserting securities claims against Brazilian oil and gas company relating to the revelation of a bribery and corruption scandal. Successfully resolved all claims as part of $353 million reported settlement.
- Represented government agency in residential mortgage backed securities litigation against numerous financial institutions. Member of trial team that obtained an $800 million judgment against two financial institutions, which was affirmed on appeal.
- The Best Lawyers in America: Ones to Watch, Securities Regulation, Best Lawyers, 2023-2024
- Co-author, "SEC targets climate change disclosures," Norton Rose Fulbright's Financial Services: Regulation Tomorrow Blog, September 29, 2021
- Co-author, "Climate Change and Sustainability Disputes: Securities Litigation," Norton Rose Fulbright Legal Update, July 2021
- Co-author, "House Passes Bill Directing Disclosure of ESG Metrics," Norton Rose Fulbright's Financial Services: Regulation Tomorrow Blog, June 17, 2021
Publication | March 25, 2022
Publication | November 2, 2021
Climate-related reporting standards including the TCFD framework and their impact on the aviation industry
Publication | October 25, 2021