Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Related services and key industries
- Litigation and disputes
- Sanctions and export controls
- Regulation and investigations
- Securities litigation, regulation and enforcement
- White-collar crime
Mikkaela Salamatin is an associate in Norton Rose Fulbright's New York office. She has a broad range of education and experience in the public and private sectors.
She has experience with cross-border government and internal investigations, including investigations related to anticorruption laws such as the US Foreign Corrupt Practices Act ("FCPA"), securities laws, financial fraud, and sanctions and export controls. Mikkaela also has experience with building and reviewing compliance programs on these issues. She has further assisted on teams litigating in federal and state court, international arbitration, and immigration court through participation in the firm's pro bono program.
With regard to international trade and business, Mikkaela has assisted clients regarding compliance with international trade laws and regulations administered by the Department of Commerce, Department of the Treasury, and Department of State, including the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) and the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
Prior to joining the firm, Mikkaela had previously interned with the US Army (JAG), the US State Department (NATO), and the US Securities and Exchange Commission (Enforcement Division, Cyber and Market Abuse Units).
JD, Dean's Scholar, Vanderbilt Law School, 2021
BS, summa cum laude, Finance, minors in French and Sustainability, Arizona State University, 2018
During law school, Mikkaela served on the Executive Board as Web Editor for the Environmental Law and Policy Annual Review, Article Selection Editor for the Vanderbilt Journal of Transnational Law, oralist and researcher from 2019-2020 and oralist and captain from 2020-2021 for the Jessup International Law Moot Court, Vice President from 2020-2021 for the Law Students for the Veterans Affairs. She also was a Phi Delta Phi member and on the Dean's List.
In undergrad, she co-founded the Barrett Women's League and served as a member of W.P. Carey Dean's Advisory Council, W.P. Carey Board of Academic Integrity, New Venture Group and Delta Sigma Pi.
- District of Columbia Bar
- New York State Bar
Selected Regulatory and Government Investigations Experience:
- Advised large, mid-size, and small companies regarding export controls and financial sanctions (in particular with regard to Cuba, Iran, Syria, and Russia).
- Advised in connection with a compliance risk assessment regarding ESG, human rights, corporate and director liability, and anti-money laundering laws.
- Advised on a compliance risk assessment regarding US federal criminal risk exposure for all North American activities, including ESG and human rights risks.
- Advised in connection with an internal investigation and successful negotiation of a settlement with a federal government agency.
- Advised in connection with the preparation and defense of a broker-dealer employee in government investigation.
- Assisted with the sentencing phase of a white collar defense matter, including drafting and editing briefs and researching relevant case law.
- Advised on an application for asylum to escape forced marriage and FGM in Chad.
- Advised on a family's applications for asylum to escape gang violence in Honduras.
- Advised transnational non-profit organization regarding sanctions and export controls related to urgent disaster relief efforts.
- Advised transnational non-profit organization regarding contractual negotiations and the development of anti-money laundering policies.
- Represented US public company through demand letters to companies selling non-existent or counterfeit personal protective equipment (PPE) during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- "China's Belt and Road Initiative is Reshaping Human Rights Norms," Vanderbilt Journal of Transnational Law, 2020
- Asian Bar Association of New York
- Arizona Microcredit Initiative, Alumni Board Member
- Vanderbilt University Law School Alumni Interview Program
Publication | October 20, 2023
Publication | October 19, 2023
Blog | July 20, 2023