Related services and key industries
Chris, counsel at Norton Rose Fulbright's Austin office, has worked on major real estate and construction development projects, primarily for large government entities. He has worked with some of the largest Universities, Colleges, and school districts in Texas to purchase land and build schools. In addition to acquisitions and dispositions, he has advised clients on issues related to leasing, condemnation, restrictive covenants, easements, zoning and use regulations, title insurance, utilities development and financing, 313 abatements, TIRZ and special taxing districts.
Chris has drafted custom construction contracts and is experienced with AIA and Texas Builders Association contracts across several construction delivery methods. He has extensive experience representing government clients dealing with governmental contracting requirements, bidding regulations, governance issues and other governmental regulatory matters. At a previous firm, Chris also advised business clients in corporate acquisitions, financing, healthcare regulatory issues, and technology contracts. Chris has extensive experience with all forms of service contracts, commercial agreements, technology licensing contracts, and sales contracts.
JD, The University of Texas School of Law, 2013
BBA, Finance, The University of Texas at Austin, 2010
BS, Corporate Communications Studies, The University of Texas at Austin, 2010
- Texas State Bar
Representing school districts, colleges, and government entities in real estate, construction, and procurement transactions. Representative projects include:
- Advised clients in approximately $50 Million of real estate, construction, and development transactions.
- Researched legal authority and drafted supporting documents for $4M utilities deals involving ISD issued project financing, capital recovery and tap fees, utility supply contracts, land sales, and easement grants.
- Drafted owner friendly revisions to AIA and non-AIA construction contracts including general conditions (A201), architect (B201), construction manager (A133), and program manager (C171) agreements.
- Investigated procurement procedures following community college trustee bribery conviction, prepared interview materials, and assisted in final report assessing errors, vulnerabilities, and process improvements.
- Represented private insurance agency client in $1M seller and bank financed acquisition.
- Researched and advised clients on tax incentive programs including 313 abatements and TIRZ.
- Advised clients on voluntary annexation, de-annexation, & purchases of property outside the district.
- Represented school district in appeal and withdrawal of $1.2M condemnation initial commissioner award.
- Advised on land use risks from inverse condemnation, restrictive covenants, city ordinances, and zoning.
- Drafted campus leasing agreement in SB1882 partnership between school district and charter school.
- Advised governmental clients regarding conflict of interest, background check, felony conviction notice, Texas Public Information Act disclosure, and ethical reporting requirements.
- Advised clients on compliance with proper procurement methods and public bidding procedures for real estate, construction, and goods and services and negotiated professional services contracts
- Advised client on acquisition of $2.5M simulator fixture, security interest concerns, and potential liability.
- Negotiated facilities use contracts for mental health, counseling, tutoring, and employee benefit providers.
- Negotiated memoranda of understanding with cities and counties to provide clients with alternative education, discipline, healthcare, and student resource officer programs, and other services.
- Negotiated technology and educational resource agreements and advised on data privacy compliance.
- Negotiated and drafted commercial, residential, and agricultural lease agreements for government entity.
- Advised community college on the right to install security system upgrade in privately tenanted building.
- Speaker, Legislative Update on Business & Procurement, ESC Region 4 Seminar, 2019
- Speaker, Hardening School Campuses Through Design and Procurement, ESC Region 4 Seminar, 2018
- Austin Under 40 Awards Committee Member
- Young Men's Business League Member
- Austin Sunshine Camps Volunteer
- Austin Young Lawyers Leadership Academy graduate
- UT Law Mentor