Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Related services and key industries
- Chapter 11 debtor and trustee representation
- Financial institutions, funds and creditor representation
- Litigation and disputes
- Official creditors' committee representation
Key industry sectors
Jason Blanchard focuses his practice on advising businesses and their stakeholders, creditors, and court-appointed fiduciaries in all aspects of commercial bankruptcy cases, bankruptcy litigation, and out of court restructurings. He represents a wide range of clients in financially distressed situations, including debtors, unsecured and secured creditors, official creditors' committees, trustees, asset purchasers, post-confirmation fiduciaries, examiners and receivers. Additionally, Jason has experience litigating complex avoidance actions, contested matters in bankruptcy cases, and bankruptcy appeals.
Previously, Jason served as law clerk to the Honorable Alan S. Trust, United States Bankruptcy Judge for the Eastern District of New York.
Professional experienceExpand all Collapse all
- JD, Brooklyn Law School, 2011
- Honors: Articles Editor, Brooklyn Journal of Corporate, Financial and Commercial Law
- BS, Management, Tulane University, A.B. Freeman School of Business, 2007
- Awards: Distinguished Scholar Award
- New Jersey State Bar
- New York State Bar
- Texas State Bar
- Represented the official committee of tort claimants in the chapter 11 cases of a California utility company and its parent company before the Northern District of California Bankruptcy Court.
- Represented several companies in the retail electricity business as debtors-in-possession in their chapter 11 cases before the Southern District of Texas Bankruptcy Court.
- Represented the trustee for the Securities Investor Protection Act liquidation of a security brokerage, in disputes involving customer claims and the litigation of avoidance actions and motions to withdraw the reference.
- Represented health care sharing ministry as debtor-in-possession in its chapter 11 case before the Delaware Bankruptcy Court.
- Represented several companies that own and operate an oil refinery based in the US Virgin Islands as debtors-in-possession in their chapter 11 cases before the Southern District of Texas Bankruptcy Court.
- Best Lawyers - Ones to Watch, Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law, Best Lawyers, 2023 (conferred by Best Lawyers)
- New York Metro Super Lawyers Rising Star, Bankruptcy: Business, Super Lawyers, 2022 (conferred by Thomson Reuters)
Learn more about the descriptions of the selection methodologies for rankings and recognitions. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
- "Buyer Beware, Tax Lien Certificates May Be Avoided as Preferences in the Third Circuit," Norton Journal of Bankruptcy Law and Practice, Vol. 29 No. 4, August 2020
- Co-author, "Momentive and the Efficient Market Test: Another Appellate Court's Take on Cramdown Interest Under a Chapter 11 Plan but the Standard is Still Obscure," Norton Journal of Bankruptcy Law and Practice, Vol. 27 No. 3, July 2018
- Co-author, "So, What Happens when Unsecured Creditors Exercise their Right to Elect a Trustee?" The Federal Lawyer, January/February 2016
- Co-author, "The Outer Limits of Objections to Recognition in Chapter 15 Cases? The Public Policy Exception and Bad Faith," ABI International Committee Newsletter, Spring 2014
- "Keeping Trade Creditors in the Loop: Can a Chapter 11 Debtor Confirm a Plan of Reorganization When it Owes More Money Than Its Property is Worth?" The Federal Lawyer, January/February 2013
- Presenter, "Fundamentals of Bankruptcy Litigation Program, Federal Bar Association," June 24, 2015
- Turnaround Management Association, NextGen Committee
- Bankruptcy and Corporate Reorganization Committee, New York City Bar Association
- Dallas Bar Association, Bankruptcy and Commercial Law Section
- American Bankruptcy Institute
US restructuring team successfully represents Brazos Electric Power Cooperative, Inc. in its Chapter 11 case
January 17, 2023
30 US lawyers recognized as 2022 New York Metro Super Lawyers, Rising Stars
September 29, 2022
Secured lenders advised in Ch 11 cross-border restructuring of Altera Infrastructure L.P.
August 24, 2022
Supreme Court: Bankruptcy Code 363(m) does not limit appellate jurisdiction over sale orders
Blog | April 26, 2023
Alto Maipo: Delaware ruling poses jurisdictional challenges for Chapter 11 debtors
Publication | Q4 2022
Delaware ruling poses jurisdictional challenges for chapter 11 debtors
Publication | October 06, 2022