Richard G Lewis
Norton Rose Fulbright Australia
Richard G LewisvCard
Related services and key industries
Richard Lewis is a mergers & acquisitions and private equity lawyer based in Sydney.
Richard leads our private equity practice in Australia and the Asia Pacific region.
He has been a trusted advisor to a wide range of global and Australian corporations on mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, initial public offerings and other commercial transactions for almost 30 years. Over that period Richard has forged a reputation as one of Australia's leading and most experienced private equity and mergers and acquisitions lawyers.
Richard is a thought leader in the private equity and mergers & acquisitions space. He has had numerous articles published in the Australian Private Equity and Venture Capital Journal and has been a regular speaker and chairperson at conferences including at private equity and M&A master class seminars.
- LLB (Hons) Sheffield University, UK
- Solicitors Final Exams, Chester, UK
- High Court of Australia 1996
- Supreme Court of Victoria 1994
- Solicitor, qualified in England & Wales 1986
- Solicitor, qualified in New South Wales 1988
- Nature's Care – Advised the Founders of Nature's Care on the sale of a majority interest in leading vitamin skin care group Nature's Care, to a chinese consortium of SOE's/private equity funds by way of a competitive sale process in 2018. The transaction is one of the largest private equity transactions in Australia in 2018.
- Office Depot, Inc – Advised leading US office stationery group Office Depot Inc, on the sale of Office Depot's Australian and New Zealand business (Office Max) to leading US private equity group Platinum Equity.
- Summit Partners – Advised leading US private equity group Summit Partners on its first acquisition in Australia in 2016, the acquisition of a majority interest in a leading consumer brand and fashion business valued at over AU$100 million.
- Accenture - Advised global consulting group Accenture, on its acqusition of Australian cyber security group Redcore in 2017.
- Baring Private Equity Asia – Advised this leading Asian Private Equity group on its proposed acquisition of Healthe Care, the third largest private hospital operator in Australia, by way of trade sale.
- Bain Capital – Advised Bain Capital on an unsuccessful bid for a leading Australian retail fashion group in 2015.
- Naxicap Partners - Advised French based global private equity investor Naxicap Partners on Australian aspects of its acquisition of Ecotel Group.
- Primo Group – Advised the founding family of Primo Group on the AU$700 million+ buyout of the remaining founder and the subsequent disposal of a controlling stake in the Primo Group to Affinity Private Equity. The transaction was one of the largest private equity buyouts undertaken in 2011.
- CHAMP Ventures - Advised Australian Private Equity fund CHAMP Ventures on numerous acquisitions and disposals of Australian and cross border businesses between 2010-2017.
- Modern Star Group – advised the founders of leading educational supplies company Modern Star on the sale of a controlling interest in the group to international private equity group Navis Capital Partners in an AU$200 million+ transaction.
- Connect East – Advised ATP (largest pension fund in Denmark) and USS (major UK pension fund) as members of an institutional consortium of pension funds on the AU$2.3 billion take private of the ConnectEast Group.
- Forestry Plantations Queensland – advised a number of foreign pension funds on the acquisition of a substantial equity stake in a consortium managed by Hancock which acquired all of the assets of Forestry Plantations Queensland for AU$600 million.
- MYOB – Advised the senior executive team of MYOB on their divestment and reinvestment of equity on the AU$1.2 billion secondary buyout of MYOB by Bain Capital from Archer Capital and HarbourVest.
- Madison Dearborn Partners - Asvised leading US private equity group Madison Dearborn Partners on Australian and New Zealand aspects of its proposed acquisition of Sirva Group Inc in 2018.
- Gresham Private Equity – Advised Gresham Private Equity on a number of leveraged buyouts including its AU$200 million buyout of five transport logistics businesses to form Silk Logistics and its buyout of Australian Pacific Paper Products.
- Direct Capital Private Equity - Advised leading New Zealand Private Equity group Direct Capital on numerous acquisitions and disposals in Australia over a 20 year period.
- Archer Growth Fund – Advised Archer on several buyouts in Australia including its take private of Keycorp Ltd (manufacturer of smartcard and IP enabled payment terminals) and divestment of Keycorp to a European Private Equity fund.
- Planit Software Testing – advised the founder of Planit on the sale of a majority interest in the business to Private Equity investment group Archer Growth Fund in 2014.
- Superior Foods Group – advised the founders of NFD Holdings and Superior Foods on the sale of a controlling interest in their food distribution businesses to Superior Foods Holdings, a new company controlled and financed by Quadrant Private Equity.
- Sea Swift - advised Australian Private Equity group CHAMP Ventures on its AU$100 million+ acquisition of seaborne logistics solution company Sea Swift.
- Taura Natural Ingredients - Advised CHAMP Ventures on its $100M disposal of Taura Natural Ingredients (supplier of fruit ingredients for snacks) in a sale process run out of Europe and Australia.
- APB – advised CHAMP Ventures on its AU$80 million+ disposal of Australian Portable Buildings (APB).
- Amber Tiling - Advised Greenstone Partners on the sale of a majority interest in Amber Tiling to a Malaysian trade buyer.
- Anzon Energy – advised Anzon Energy Limited (AEL) on three proposed mergers by scheme of arrangement between AEL and each of Arc Energy Limited, Nexus Energy Limited and Roc Oil Limited.
- Areva – advised French multinational Areva on the NZ$207 million sale of its Australian and New Zealand T & D operations.
- Food Distribution JV - Advised F Mayer Imports on its joint venture with leading Danish good group, Aria Foods in 2015.
- Healthcare Locums – advised Healthcare Locums PLC on its AU$120 million acquisition of the Healthcare Australia Group from CHAMP Private Equity.
- iSentia – advised the senior executive team of iSentia Media on their exit and reinvestment of equity on the AU$200 million buyout by Quadrant Private Equity.
- Marstel Holdings – advised Norwegian group Stolt-Nielsen SA on its AU$132 million acquisition of the Australian and New Zealand terminal business of Marstel Holdings.
- Tasman Building Products – advised AMP Capital Investors and Quadrant Capital on the disposal of their investment in Tasman Building Products in the first secondary buyout undertaken in Australia.
- CHAMP – advised Castle Harlan Australian Mezzanine Partners (CHAMP) on a number of investments including the leveraged buyout of Australian Pacific Paper Products.
- BMT Tax Depreciation – advised CHAMP Ventures and Yorkway Capital on the buyout of BMT Tax Depreciation Group in a AU$80 million+ transaction in 2015.
- Private Equity Lawyer of the Year, Best Lawyers Australia, 2015
- Leading Private Equity and M&A lawyer, Best Lawyers Australia, 2008–18
- Leading individual in M&A and private equity, Chambers Global, 2007–17
- 'Highly recommended' for private equity, Practical Law Company: Guide to Private Equity Lawyers Worldwide
Richard has had numerous articles published in the Australian Private Equity and Venture Capital Journal and other M&A publications including:
- "Vendor Due Diligence – a useful tool in the transaction process"
- "Liability in pre contractual negotiations"
- "Private Equity Exits – Part 1 – Facilitating an Exit"
- "Private Equity Exits – Part 2 – Warranties and Post Exit Liability"
- "Secondary Buy-outs"
- "Consortium Deals – Plan ahead for a Good Working Relationship"
- "Simultaneous Roll-ups"
- "Recent Developments in Private Equity"
- AVCAL Member